Author Topic: Horrid storm/hail damage, electric outage has ruined my pond :(  (Read 1784 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The good side is we are no longer in drought :)  we got 3" of rain in one hour with the extremely high winds and big hail.  I have never seen a storm like this. 

My pond and gardens are ruined.  To make matters worse I had no electricity for 3 days so my pond is going through a big shock right now.  I have foam!  I have heard that means rotting stuffie?  I have started using the koi clay very heavy and have tried to get in there to clean out all the limbs etc.  All the lillies are just like chopped spinach laying in there.. Should I cut them all back as they are now dying??  The lotus was blown/broken off and what leaves are left are now turning brown so I am sure I have lost them also. 

anyway... sure dont know how yall prone to these storms do it!

tinkster

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Horrid storm/hail damage, electric outage has ruined my pond :(
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
OH MAN Tink that's just awful....yep I'd cut back what leaves look like crap...all they will end up doing is rotting and causing more foam.....if you cut back the lotus...make sure to cut them above the water level...I have heard since their stems are hollow they can drown....not sure if that's true...but, don't want to try it and see either....I would also do some 25% water changes every other day for a few days....that will also help remove some of the DOCs....
Lawanna
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:01:30 PM by tranquility »
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:43:53 PM »
What's that saying.. when it rains it pours! :'(

Sorry Tink, I know how hard you work on things and you are so proud of your pond and gardens which you should be because you have done a fantastic job.. Hang in there, things WILL grow back as beautiful as they were.. it might be next year when the Lotus looks good again but everything will be okay.

We have had bad storms all around us but luckily we haven't got hit other than alittle wind, hardly no rain though.

Lawanna gave you good advice, the foam (DOC's) will go away....

Hugs,
Bonnie

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »
Oh man.  I am so sorry.  That is just heartbreaking!

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
That's so sad! Sorry to see your beautiful garden looking so bad. I hope things have enough time left to grow back a bit before fall.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »
 :-\ Wow tinkster that sucks and bad, the lilies do not look to bad, cuthe the dead /bad pads off and the lily will replace them quickly enough. as to the lotus trim it back (above the water line) mine sprang back with a quickness. I would remove any damaged leaves from the other plants as well.
 Sorry to see that tink... Ugh :'(
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:59 AM »
So sorry to hear about that Tinkster  :(  I had the same kind of hail damage to my plants last month- it was horrible.  BUT.... the good news is that they recovered fairly quickly..... All the pads were destroyed, and it has only been 2 days shy of a month now since it happened and they have already replaced all of the crackeled pads.  Back to being good as new, and it never seemed to affect their blooming while they healed.  I left my most of my pads on until they completely yellowed/browned, so that the plants could get some energy from the pads to grow new ones.  My lotus also took a beating but has also recovered and has been blooming just fine also.  Good luck!
Joey

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:10:33 AM »
Oh my, what a bummer, but like everyone said, the plants will recover quickly.

Three days without power is a headache.  Ours went out last night for three hours and that was bad enough.  Did you have a generator?  I imagine it would have been hot without air conditioning.  Its sure been hot and dry around here and supposed to get to 99 again today.

Karen

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:54:38 AM »
Tinkster, From the bottom of my heart I feel so sorry about your pond.  :'(You have worked so very hard on your pond the last couple years and been an inspiration to every one. The good news is  like everyone says is the plants will grow back. I don't think you can kill hardy lillys and a lot of perrenials. They all die in the winter and coming back in spring. So am sure they will be fine eventually.   The other Great news is you, your family, and home our safe. The plants and pond can be replaced  but you and family are irreplaceable. I am sure before long we will be seeing the beautiful pictures of pond and gardens again.  :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:56 AM »
Oh no Tink. That is terrible but not the worst thing that could happen. Those plants will come back, sure as shootin'. Like everyone has said, cut those damaged pads/leaves off, get the crud out of the pond, and do some water changes. Did your bio media dry out? I'd like to see a picture of your pond in 2-3 weeks. I think/hope you'll be surprised.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your troubled news Tinkster.  Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.  Your plants may have taken a beating but Mother Nature always bounces back and your pond (with great structure by the way) will become as beautiful as it was or better!  No need to make yourself crazy over that anyhow.  Take care of yourself and your family first. 

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »
Oh my goodness, that is horrible!   :'(  Your fish are okay though, right?

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:11:23 AM »
Oh Tink, I'm so sorry.  We had the same thing last year, I had floating pieces of pads for days because I left a few or the lilies would have had nothing and they kept falling apart.  Have had storms through here all week, but only lost electricity last night for about 6hrs and that was bad enough, 3 days in the heat I can't imagaine, it'll come back given time.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 08:22:14 AM »
Really sorry about your ponds and gardens. All of you that live in areas where you have severe weather could come here to live. We don't have severe weather of any kind. ;D
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Sorry to hear that Tink.  We were lucky here at home.. well, sorta..   :-\ We didn't lose electricity, but the power surge did take out my AC unit.  Have been without for a week, and BOY IS IT HOT! :blowup: :blowup: Guys started working yesterday, owner says it'll be done by Saturday, workers say maybe by Monday.. Insurance adjuster came by and they are going to give us the replacement value, which is good, but we are going to go ahead an upgrade so that we have more than we need, 2.5 ton was too small for this house, going to a 3.5 ton should help...  Amazingly, the pond is no worse for wear, but I definitely have not put as much time into it as you... 
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"