Author Topic: Yea, bartering!  (Read 973 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Yea, bartering!
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
    DH and I went out to do our Sunday flea market today, and I noticed a fairly new nursery on our route.
   I mentioned that I saw a hand lettered sign that fruit trees were on sale. We're in the middle of developing a potager type garden. We saw his hand lettered sign and DH (who is a wood carver and has done tons of signage for Renaisance Faires)asked him if he would be interested in bartering signage for plants/landscaping/etc. His reply was to IMMEDIATLEY turn off the hose and "Let me start off by saying YES"
  So, we're getting about $1000 worth of plants and or labor for a weekend of the DH carving the signs! @O@ @O@ @O@
  Next stop was at a little second hand store near the nursery, where DH found an old book about a meat eating plant (sounds like little shop of horrers) DH says lets stop in and see if we can snag a plant in exchange for this book! This is at California Carnivores.
  We bop in and the owner is soooo pleased, he gave us $35 (on sale) of carniverous plants, for a $.25 book!  New hobby! ;D
    Fun and profitable day!  :D
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yea, bartering!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »
What a great deal.  You all had an exceptional day, wtg!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
That's Great ! Sound's like you got some real Deal's !
bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »
Doncha love that!!  Sounds like you guys have a gift for seeing great values for barter.  I wish I could figure out when an opportunity like that comes my way.  Great that your DH knows wood carving Too.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:51 AM »
Great job!  Worked out good for them and for you.  I am horrible at bartering.  My Dad refused to ever pay the sticker price on anything at a flea market, but I usually just pay it and go on... It makes me uncomfortable to ask people things like that for some reason... Sounds like it definitely paid off for you though!
Joey

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:38:49 PM »
Awesome!  I guess you guys were in the right place at the right time, I bet the other guy is equally happy with the deal.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"