Author Topic: American Splatterdock ?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
American Splatterdock ?
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:37:01 PM »
Does anyone know if it grow's in Ohio creek's ?
 My eldest son & his wife bought 3 acre's with a house
right next to Scioto Brush Creek ...down around Lucasville OH..... It has these plant's in it that look's like a Splatterdock . I did get a few but of course they are not blooming yet ..  :-\  .The one's in the creek was BUT I didn't have my camera.... :-\...which really stinks too !
One of them must of had a bud on it at one time , I see a pod of some kind in one of the pictures....I guess I missed it  >:(- .
bonnie

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: American Splatterdock ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:40:54 PM »
Spatterdock (Cow Lily) grows wild in Indiana, which is where I found mine, and mine looks exactly like yours!

I like it because the leaves are so large, glossy and stand up high above the water.  They are also early to green up in the spring, long before my hardy lilies do.  The bloom however, is pretty sad.  That's an old bloom.   Here's a pick with a bloom in the upper left.

Karen

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:31 AM »
Very neat!  I haven't ever had any spadderdock yet.  Great find Bonnie!
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
I like how the splatterdock stands above the lily pads!  Your pond looks beautiful and natural Karen!

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:12:38 AM »
 :o  Oops!  I should have said that too  {:-P;;  I love your pond Karen!  It looks GREAT!
Joey

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
Well isn't that cool looking.  I like how it adds some high spots to the pond.  Looks great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
I love your pond Karen . The Splatterdock look's great in it . I cannot wait for mine to look like your's .
I just noticed today that one of the plant's I got has a bud comming up.
bonnie

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »
I had one yrs ago I got out of Swan Creek in southern Missouri. I don't have it any more.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »
It grows in all the rivers and lakes down here. I have some that I got with my broadleaf arrowhead when I bought it. They thought it was just another arrowhead. Then it rained and the bucket that it was in filled up and it grew like crazy. I had to divide it up and then I got koi. I got two small recovering tubers now.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »
Hmm grows native huh? I suppose it would take over an earth bottom pond?? Maybe I need to find some...... ::)

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"