Author Topic: Winters coming  (Read 1248 times)

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winters coming
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »
OK winter is going to be here before I want it to and I guess I need to know what to do before my pond freezes over. I really want to shut off my waterfalls but that is the main filtration in the pond. The pond has a skimmer with the pump in it connected to a 20 gal size bio filter which is the waterfall. It has kept the water very clear this year except for the spring green soup which a UV filter cleaned right up. Because the fish will be slowing down and I won't have near as many plants can I get by with a small in pond filter with a small heater to keep the pond from completely freezing over? I don't want to use the falls as I'm afraid it will freeze and drain my pond before I know it. The pond is 14 ft by 8 ft and 3 ft deep at the most with about 20 two inch goldfish. Also what is a good heater to purchase and smaller filter with pump?   Thanks in advance

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winters coming
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
What is your zone?  How cold of winters do you have?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:37:22 AM »
Zone 5 Central Missouri The pond will freeze over a few times during the winter but the winters don't seem to be near as harsh as before. Back in the 60's and early 70's it was normal to have 30 + days below freezing but now it very seldom gets to 0 degrees F.

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »
Can you use pvc and put a greenhouse over the whole thing?  Will keep anything in there from freezing and you could leave the waterfall going though it does add to cooling of the water, but you probably don't get that cold in the daytime?

I covered mine last winter.  We do have days on end of sub-freezing temps and the pond never froze and there wasn't ever even ice around the edges of the falls.  I am going to bypass my falls this year.

If you water stays below 50 and therefore you are not feeding I think you could turn off the filters and have no ill effect, but you might want to drain the filters if they are above ground.

Mary
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"