Author Topic: ESTHER'S WISE ADVICE, THE BEST I HAVE EVER GOTTEN!!  (Read 2036 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ESTHER'S WISE ADVICE, THE BEST I HAVE EVER GOTTEN!!
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »
Esther was wondering why so many do not have float swithes/valves on their pumps, even though she has been singing their praises for so long.

Let me tell you, this advice has saved my pond and probably my pump on a number of occasions!

IT IS SMART MONEY SPENT ON YOUR POND!!! THANKS ESTHER!!
Kathy

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ESTHER'S WISE ADVICE, THE BEST I HAVE EVER GOTTEN!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
Errr,,, uhhh,,, for those of us who don't have them, maybe you should explain what they are and how they work. (or direct us to the original post / link)

I think I know, but I'm not sure.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »
Esther knows her stuff!
A float valve will automatically top off the pond when the water level drops.
If you have one the problem of forgetting your garden hose running in the pond will be a thing of the past.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Cindi

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:29:13 AM »
Esther knows her stuff!
A float valve will automatically top off the pond when the water level drops.
If you have one the problem of forgetting your garden hose running in the pond will be a thing of the past.

Jerry, the float valve Esther was talking about goes on the pump itself.  So if your water level drops it will turn off the pump so as to not burn up the pump.  The valve to top off the pond is a good idea too, but she doesn't have that *yet*.   ;)
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:55 AM »
I agree with both solutions, I know MikeW could use one of the hose pipe float valves to keep from overflowing his pond.
Not all pumps come with a float valve. Here is one from Harbourfreight that has a float valve.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:34:52 PM »
I would not be cought  without my auto shutoff. It saved my pump when MyDH was in the hospital.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Julles,

The float valve is a doohickey that shuts off the pump if the water level drops below a certain point. It will save your pump. If your pump is on the bottom of the pond, then you are going to be able to pump most of your water out anyway, since the float valve would be at the bottom with the pump. I'm sure there is an adaptation of some sort for this situation.

I would not even consider buying a pump without one. It like an extra 30 bucks I think.
Kathy

Offline shortcake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
http://www.plumbingmart.com/alarm.html is a site that has a example of a float switch that will turn off the pump at a level to insure the pond will not empty. You will use the pump down float switch. I like a switch that has no mercury. You can search the internet and find one you like. The switch for me is a insurance well worth the cost for the peace of mind.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:28:34 AM »
How about for an above ground pump?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:33:41 PM »
How about for an above ground pump?
Wow Jerry, that's a really good question? But I don't know? :-\
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »
Thanks Kathy. I preach about that because I hear so many disasters happening that could have been avoided. I was lucky several times before I got my pump with the float.

I suspect this is for a submersible.  http://www.azponds.com/pond_accessories.htm  Scroll wayyy down.  It interupts the flow of electricity to shut off the pump when the water level gets low. Either way, submersible or external, there has to be a way to install a separate float.  I chose a Tsurumi 3200 pump that came with the float built in.

My first one didn't have the float and shortly after we installed it, the water level dropped and it ran for a while with not enough water. The pump was noisey after that and my DH said he thought that is why it didn't last as long as it should have.

I have had at least three "almost" disasters with low water. Two were when the exit to the spillway became blocked and the Skippy ran over, which would have eventually lowered the water too far for it to get into the skimmer/filter box. . Fortunately, each time, we discovered it before distaster happened with the old pump.  Another time after we installed the new pump, a plastic shopping bag had blown in the pond and had been sucked over the intake of the skimmer. The water couldn't get in to the skimmer box so the water level dropped and the pump shut off. Cool!!!

Here's from Drs. Foster & Smith a Low water cutoff switch for a submersible in a skimmer.  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5344&Ntt=low%20water%20cutoff%20switch&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1    They have the automatic float valves to keep the water level up. Laguna has one also at Foster and Smith's.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:19:51 PM by Esther »

Offline shortcake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/pondlily/IMG_0114.jpg  Jerry this is a picture I took of my float switch. I hope it shows from photobucket. I don't know how to post pictures direct to the form. I have an above ground pond. The float switch I mounted onto PVC pipe with 90 degree elbows.  One end of the PVC pipe I pushed into the ground along the side of the pond. The other 90 degree PVC goes into the pond. Then I fastened the switch with plastic pull straps. You can adjust the switch to any height you desire. The way it works is when the float switch is up, you have power. If the float falls down it cuts off the power and therefore the pump connected to it. The piggy tail type switch is for a pump with a plug in attached to your pump.  The switch could also be purchase for a hard wired pump. These floats will work in any pond above ground or at ground level.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:35:47 PM »
Shortcake, when you need to post pictures from Photobucket, go to the picture you want to use, scroll down to the IMG Code and highlight it. Then right click to get your drop down box. Left click on "copy". Come to American Ponders and the topic box and left click and then right click to get the dropdown box and select "Paste". You will see the code listed out but if you select preview you'll see what is going to show in your post or otherwise just "post", and wala, there it is.

I was able to see your picture but couldn't really make out what you were describing. Of course my ears picked up when I heard you were using PVC. I am after all the queen of PVC. LOL.

Offline shortcake

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks Esther for your help in posting a picture. I will try and post a picture. .  If you go to my previous post above and look at the site http://www.plumbingmart.com/alarm.html and then compare the picture from photo bucket I posted. This is the float switch I installed in my pond. The PVC installed behind in the picture is not a part of the switch.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 06:50:06 PM by shortcake »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 06:24:55 AM »
OHHHH nice white lilies and pretty fish. Good job. Picture is great..

Well yah!!! Why didn't I think of that before. DH is a plumber and we have a sump crock in the basement  for years and it used to have a float like that. Now the crock is sealed.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/pondlily/IMG_0114.jpg  Jerry this is a picture I took of my float switch. I hope it shows from photobucket. I don't know how to post pictures direct to the form. I have an above ground pond. The float switch I mounted onto PVC pipe with 90 degree elbows.  One end of the PVC pipe I pushed into the ground along the side of the pond. The other 90 degree PVC goes into the pond. Then I fastened the switch with plastic pull straps. You can adjust the switch to any height you desire. The way it works is when the float switch is up, you have power. If the float falls down it cuts off the power and therefore the pump connected to it. The piggy tail type switch is for a pump with a plug in attached to your pump.  The switch could also be purchase for a hard wired pump. These floats will work in any pond above ground or at ground level.

Hi shortcake, this sounds like what I have. I plug it in then plug the pump int to it at the box. I have it fastioned to a pvc pipe also. and now that I think about it, it would work for an out of water pump. O0
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"