Author Topic: light bulbs  (Read 623 times)

Offline Pam B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
light bulbs
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
Instead of bringing my Koi indoors this winter, my DH is building a green house dome over the pond (the fish are getting to large for the stock tank). He is planning on heating the dome with light bulbs. Our biggest concern is stopping the bulbs from shattering if they come in contact with a splash of water. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to protect the bulb from breakage or the broken pieces falling in the pond?
Thanks for any in put. I have always gotten fantastic advice from all of you
Pam

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:33:43 AM »
I don't know how successful you'll be to actually expect to "heat" the GH. But I use lightbulbs every winter to  act as a deicer. There are "heavy duty" bulbs at Home Depot that have a plastic coating. They are for outside use and the plastic is supposed to keep the bulbs from shattering.  I use a mechanic's drop light for my deicer.  Last winter I put a piece of wire screen over the mesh part of the lightbulb cage just for the reason you mentioned. This doesn't show the wire but you'll get the idea. I use a 75 watt bulb. The screen may keep splashes off the bulbs too. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"