Author Topic: I need the best winterizing tips for central Pennsylvania. Help!!!!!!!!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
It is time for me to get the pond ready for winter, although with this 80 plus weather around here, it is hard to believe it is Octoer.  You can't fool mother nature completely though, because the leaves are coloring right on tract, although the drought is probably going to be a factor in the amount of coloring we get here.  Last year, when I got the pond ready, I cut all the potted marginal plants and lilies back and lowered them into the center of the pond where it is the deepest.  I had many hatchlings in the water that were several inches long and fed them right up to the time I was instructed to stop.  I had a net over the pond to catch leaves.  I put in my deicing ring and the fish had a piece of terra cotta pipe to hide under.  I hoped that would do it for the winter season.  Come spring, all my fish were dead.  My marginal plants did survive but that was all.  Despite the deicing ring, the pond froze over anyways and I feel the gas build up killed all the fish.  I bought a new deicing ring and am about to order a second one just incase there could be something go wrong with the first.  I have huge, gorgeous fish in my pond this year that I don't want to die but there is no way I can take them out for the winter.  I am going to put the leaf catching net on tomorrow and cut back the marginals and lower them into the water. What else can I do for my pond and fish?  I also have 2 very nice green frogs who have lived out there since spring and are quite friendly and not scared when I come out.  How are they going to survive and is there anything I can do for them?  I don't want the disaster I faced with my fish this spring.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to you all.   Jax
Jax

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I need the best winterizing tips for central Pennsylvania. Help!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »
I wrote this a while back and it is pinned on the tutorial section of the forum. It's long so I'll just post the link. I'm sure there's not much there that you don't already know but maybe there will be. I wrote this out of the experience of what I do. I have a submersible pump so if there's something that someone with an exterior pump has to do, I'll not know about it.  http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1019.0

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »
Hey Jax,

Welcome from another (south)central PA ponder; I live in Lemoyne just west of Harrisburg. 

How big is your pond?

It sounds like you prepped your pond well for last winter.  You could try running a small pump on the bottom aimed at the surface at one end of the pond.  That usually keeps a hole in the ice unless the temps drop into the lower teens.

A stock tank heater works well too but costs a lot to run.

If you need any replacement fish, I have plenty!!  8)
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
I also was going to mention a pump.  Did you run one last year?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:14 AM »
Check out the DIY section of the forum too for deicers. http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=975.0

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »
Hey Jax, Hi from another Pa. ponder. I live in Mckean County Pa. near Bradford.  It is hard to think about winter when we are having record setting temps. in Pa. Don't like to echo what everybody else says but seems you did every thing right. The one thing you did not mention in post the size of your pond. How deep is it? How many gallons? Lenght and wide? Alo how many fish ,what size, and kind? All these things can influence mortality rate over winter. I myself use one of those 100 watt deicers last year and an aquarium air pump with an air stone . My pond is 3 ft deep. I did loose one shubunkin that got trapped in skimmer. Do't know how or why.  :( I have also taken a smaller pump 400gph and set it on my shelf just under water and let it bubble. This has worked fine for me also. Hope you have a better winter than last. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »
Hi Jax, Pgh. area ponder here. I haven't left fish outside for a few years, but I am going to have to this year.  :-\

What worked best for me is the homemade light deicer. GREAT invention. I tried running a small pump all winter, it froze. :( Those electric deicers I wouldn't trust them at all. SOOO MANY people have reported that they are defective. I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me.

Next I suggest that going into winter your pond is as clean on the bottom as it can be.
Contrary to most beliefs, it's not the winter that kills fish it's actually the spring. The fish start waking up and so do the BAD parasites that attack weakened fish. Plus the fluctuating air temps it can be a ponders nightmare. Not much we can do about that.  GOOD LUCK to ALL of us.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"