Author Topic: TINKinflorida..... lovebugs mating ritual......  (Read 1270 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
TINKinflorida..... lovebugs mating ritual......
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
Howdy from  Florida,

I just couldnd wait to get to a pc to post this.  I have seen these really annoying but  kind of neat bugs. They are called lovebugs. They are EVERYWHERE all over ya, but what is neat about this is that they got it right I think, when they mate they are hooked together for life, never to paRt again.  I was watching a "set" of them today flying around and landing and I wondered which do you think is navigating and which just follows behind going backwards never seeing things from the front again, never choosing which way to fly etc.  I bet the female is in the lead :) 

Only 3 more days till imbarkation :)  Take care

tinkster

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: TINKinflorida..... lovebugs mating ritual......
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:35:36 PM »
Hey Joy,

Hope your having fun! Sure will be more fun once on the ship.

As for the love bugs, they are all over here.  They annoy me to death.  I don't like bugs, lol.

Have fun and be safe.

Tonya

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:39:08 AM »
Tink glad to see you made it to my part of the world ok. Yeah those Love bugs are everywhere and do they make a mess when your driving. I had to stop 3 times on a road trip JUST TO CLEAN THEM OFF my windshield! they do make a mess! I hope you enjoy your trip take time to relax and have fun, you earned it!! Take care,
Andy

For those of you who want to know what Tinkster is talking about:

The love bug (also known as march fly, honeymoon fly, telephone bug, kissybug and double-headed bug) (scientific name Plecia nearctica) is a small flying insect common to the southern United States, especially along the Gulf Coast. It is nuisance to motorists driving at a sufficient speed to spatter the insects on their windshields. They are acidic and can affect the paint on the vehicles they collide with if not washed off. They seem to be attracted to lighter colored objects (white fence posts are usually blackened with them during the peak season), but can accumulate anywhere.[citation needed]

It was first described in 1940 by D. E. Hardy of Galveston, Texas. At that time, he reported the incidence of love bugs to be widespread, but most common in Texas and Louisiana. By the end of the 20th century, however, it had spread heavily to all areas bordering the Gulf of Mexico, as well as Georgia, South Carolina, and other parts of Central America. L. A. Hetrick, writing in 1970, found it very widespread in Florida and described its flights as reaching altitudes of 300 m to 450 m and extending several kilometers over the Gulf.

Love bug larvae grow up in grassy areas and feed on dead vegetation. The adult love bug does not eat, but subsists on the food taken in during its larval stage. Upon reaching maturity the love bug spends the entirety of its life copulating with its mate, hence its numerous romantic nicknames. The male and female attach themselves at the rear of the abdomen and remain that way at all times, even in flight. In fact, after mating, the male dies and is dragged around by the female until she lays her eggs. Females lay up to 350 eggs in debris, and about 20 days later the eggs hatch into larvae. The larvae may live for months before passing into adulthood.

Commercial use of cut sod for "instant" green lawns transports great numbers of the larvae of this insect, once found only in agricultural areas, to all of the newly built developments sprouting up in the towns of the regions where its numbers are increasing so rapidly as a new phenomenon. They might be 1 cm for males, and 2 cm for females.

Love bug swarms can number in the hundreds of thousands and blanket an entire small town in a dense cloud of insects. The thick swarming of these slow flying, almost drifting, insects almost is reminiscent of snow fall. The swarms occur twice each year, first in late spring, then again in late summer. The spring swarm occurs during late April and May. The summer swarm occurs during late August and September. Swarms extend over periods of 4 to 5 weeks.[1] Mating takes place almost immediately after emergence of the females. Adult females live only 2-3 days.

Its character as a public nuisance is due not to its bite or sting (as it is not capable of either), but to its apparently highly acidic body chemistry. Because airborne love bugs exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove, and their acidity pits and etches automotive paint and chrome [1]. Driving in more developed areas where breeding is less likely to occur, or driving at lower speeds for the breeding season are both alternatives to having to scrape them off daily.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:44:36 AM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »
 :D No Thank You  :P

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »
Interesting, I had never heard of them before.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »
My dad has spent about 27 years living most of the year in Florida. He has nothing good to say about the lovebug. He has a bug screen that he puts on his vehicle every year.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
Tinkster....  Your Plant arrived today, I floated her in the pond and gave her a chance to breathe by floating her on the the pond and I planted one of the others. The others I planted in the baskets for now and wil get them in the ground on Saturday. Need to look them up to get the light requirements. The night bloomer was a little beat up but she should bounce right back looks like a week of 80-85 degree weather so she should get a decent start. Will let you know. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:08:21 AM »
Interesting ! This Northerner has never heard of Love Bugs . :) Tink  that is the funniest thing I ever heard : The female must be in the lead! lol Male is probably in the lead but the female is the back seat driver. :) Have a wonderful trip. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »
rofl MCP! Why is it males always think their in the lead :) 

Talking to the "native" floridians confirms my theory that the female is in the lead as should be!

Glad she made it el Jefe.  I had forgotten the PO was closed Monday so she got a later start than she should have but hopefully she will bounce back and you can see her bloom this season.

Thanks all, I hope to have a great time and take tons of pics.

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »
Tink your Baby is in the pond..... wait that sounds wrong,  the night bloomer you sent me is planted inthe pond. I trimmed her back to rid her of the damaged parts or questionable parts and then planted her directly in the pond. We will see how well she does. I was pleasantly surprised at how warm it was in there still, even early this morning! see what the remainder of the season brings! hope your having fun!!
Andy

ps
the female is not only in the lead "(love bug) she is bigger and continues to drag the male around even after it dies until she has laid all of her eggs....Can't even give the guy a break after he is dead.... Sheesh!  ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:58:18 AM by El Jefe »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"