Author Topic: Last tropical waterlily bloom of the season? Maybe...  (Read 950 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Last tropical waterlily bloom of the season? Maybe...
« on: October 06, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »
It's raining out and I was shocked to see this lily opening this morning. It seems that fall has hit hard here on the west coast. I am still getting buds breaching the surface but I get no sun at all any more. This plant pops back into my life every once in a while. It's an older variety that never goes out of fashion. I was not able to capture the true deep color of the bloom and some aphids were escaping the rain amongst it's petals but it was perhaps my last chance this year to get a tropical in bloom outside till spring.

Here is N. Director George T. Moore

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Last tropical waterlily bloom of the season? Maybe...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
Nice photo Sean, I heard Whistler got 30 cm of snow the other day! 

Gary

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
Nice photo Sean. It's an early fall/winter for sure this year, short season overall since spring was so late too. My tropicals were just getting nice and fat with lots of blooms late August. They were still full of buds last week when I brought them into the greenhouse and now I'm thinking I need to get the sunroom up and running very soon. It's going to be a long winter!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »
Yes I hate it. I have started bringing plants and fish in also. I have Mollies and Platies I put outside all summer. I still have blooms. But after it is all done. I am glad for the rest I get all winter.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
I can see my pond transforming itself already as well. I was blessed with 5 new blooms... My colorado, my Texas Dawn, my odorata, and both my tropicals; Queen of siam and Midnight (2 BIG blooms each) Seems like a last hurrah.  :'( O am going to miss all of those plants, going through withdrawls already.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »
Nice picture Sean, I am quite surprised that my tropicals are still blooming and even have a few buds left.  The water has gotten colder, have to wear wadders now when deadheading/depadding.  Was warm the last few days, but next week back to the 60*'s daytime and 40*'s at night.  I'll have to bring them in soon I guess, but they are thriving as of yet.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tizzylizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »
Wow! Just gorgeous Sean, as usual!
I think that's one of the tropicals Id like to have next year.
Does it have a fragrance and how big do the pads and flowers get?
By the way, Have questions for you on my other post about tropicals if you can help me out when you can.
Thanks so much!
tizzylizzy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"