Author Topic: Brugs and pentas  (Read 1114 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Brugs and pentas
« on: October 12, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »
Yellow Brugmansia just erupted into bloom - extreme heat of summer passing I think. and my Pentas (thank you Mikey) also seem to be enjoying life.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Brugs and pentas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
Loving those Brugs!  Mike, have you ever grown a brug from a cutting?  I have tried many times with no luck.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:02:06 PM »
Yes - and like you, no luck. Now Sean took a cutting, and put it in water on my patio - in shade - and I am about to plant it. No routing hormone, but tons of roots growing in my red plastic cup - maybe the colour is important?

Will let you know.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:43:22 PM »
Your Brugs is looking very nice Mike. Mine didn't bloom this year. I guess our season was too short this year. I really miss the scent on those warm summer nights. I have started lots of Brugs in water and most survive well.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 12:16:10 AM »
Your brug looks great Mike.  It's blooming its little heart out! 

I have found the key with getting brugs to root is to make sure you get a mature branch cutting, not one that is all green.  I've had some root in my compost pile....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:56:44 AM »
Thanks Mikey!  I've been doing it all wrong.  I've done all kinds of branches dipped in hormone rooting powder and potted.  I will give it a try again. 

I love all the brugs I see.  Favorite is the white/double  o(:-)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »
I have found brugs to be the easiest thing to root of anything I have ever tried. 

Some advice:

Always take cuttings above the fork.  That means cut from above where the plant forks.  Brugs always bloom "above the fork" and such cuttings are said to bloom earlier.

Keep cuttings in water until you get to the potting table.

Trim cutting to about 6 to 8 inches. Cut just below a "node"

Remove all but the top three or four leaves and all buds.

Using sharp scissors, cut remaining leaves in half to reduce transpiration loss.

Dip cutting in clean water, then rooting hormone.  Tap cutting on side of jar to remove most of the hormone, to prevent rotting.

Fill a quart plastic pot with premium potting soil, such as miracle grow.

Soak the pot in water.  Poke a hole to the bottom with a stick, and place the cutting in the hole.  Tamp the potting soil around the cutting and pour in a cup of water.

Oh, IMPORTANT! DO NOT use municipal water, only well water or distilled water will do for ANY rooted cuttings.

Place the cutting in a moist shaded area, but with good light.  If you don't have a hoophouse or greenhouse, place the pots in a large clear plastic bag and place in the shade outdoors. 

Rooting should occur in 2 weeks.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
I'm giving up on Brugs. No blooms two years in a row and terrible bug magnets for me.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"