Author Topic: ~Little more flow- and the use of spitting ornamentals ! (pics)  (Read 991 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
~Little more flow- and the use of spitting ornamentals ! (pics)
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
  Everyone that knows me-- knows I love to work with more FLOW--- more SOUND- more FLAIR !   SO here I go to a existing small pond in downtown SA. Beautiful old, Victorian house nestled in the established and historic district of downtown SA.  Main water fall was anemic.  I amped it up with a couple tricks on the pump and rock positions, and noticed these metal decorative crane statues.  I flipped them over and noticed they were moded to act as spitters--- well heck !  Let's get them working !  A independent pump has them working like a charm, and adding to the pond's interesting appeal.

**** Just need to get the NIGHT TIME PICS !! ( installed lights as well ) I hear the effect is awesome !!!
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ~Little more flow- and the use of spitting ornamentals ! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »
OK, now I see where ya bin. WORKING!! The herons are cool too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »
Very nice!!  What are the vitals to make the falls so full?

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:42:59 AM »
  Thanks all,... when it comes to FULL spill gusto, a couple factors are in play.
1.) Pump-- A anemic pump will not be able to properly span your SPILL ROCK, it will dribble almost over the edge and fall back on itself. To big of a pump will erupt over the edge to violently, cause too much splash, potential leaks.
I always include a slide or ball valve AFTER the pump in a easy to get to location to be able to TWEAK the flow just perfect. For a little more $$, it's well worth having that flexibility.

Every project is different as head height to the biofiler-spill rock, how much media is in the bio filter before the spill rock ( too much or if it's clogged and needs cleaning can slow the flow) This project had a small run of 12 feet from the skimmer to biofall-spill rock. Used 1.5inch tubing on a 1500gph low pressure pump. The biofalls is a little under 2 feet from waterlevel.
2.)Tilt the SPILL ROCK. The wil ensure the water does not dribble back on itself, and increase velocity of the water going over it...
3.) Using small rocks placed on the SPILL ROCK (heavy enough for the water not to dislodge them, will push the water around them and make the water move over the entire SPILLROCK. Excellent trick to use if you did not level the SPILL ROCK correctly.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:46:54 AM »
Thanks for the how-to info!  Now to find out if my pump is anemic (?)  :D

Carlos, you are giving me the bug!!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »
Great info, only learned by experience.
I'd love a small boy statue peeing! @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"