Author Topic: "The King and I" - a weekend in London  (Read 1528 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
"The King and I" - a weekend in London
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »
Just returned from a quick weekend in London - always has been a favourite city of mine. I went over with a group from Warner Brothers to look at different hotels, so sadly not a lot of free time. We stayed in the Sanderson (pic of bathroom below) which is 'terminally hip', attracting the music industry types. The only art work in the room was on the ceiling, so one could admire it only from the bed! All quite fun really. The exception was the trendy bars these places had where a small, warmish beer set me back $32 - thank goodness tip was included.

Anyhow on the trip from the airport going in, our driver was having a hard time with traffic - so many roads were blocked off, and police were swarming everywhere. He figured it must be a state visit. We saw the Saudi flag flying everywhere during the weekend, and heard of big demonstrations outside the Saudi embassy, so figured out what all the traffic mess was.

Our last night in town, we had dinner at the Intercontinental hotel at Hyde Park. The Miami Dolphins were staying there, and despite having just lost to the Giants, there was quite a party going on. While we were some of the few outsiders allowed in the hotel, I am not much of a pro football follower, so the opportunity to hang with these guys was lost on me. Anyway, as the hotel was full, there was only one suite empty to show us, booked for arrival in the middle on the night - yup, the King of Saudi Arabia. Wanted to leave him a little bedside note telling him what a nightmare London had been put through as the police had done a practice run for security a few days earlier.

Anyway, my trendy bathroom -

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: "The King and I" - a weekend in London
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
Now that looks like an interesting bathroom all right, nothing like the one in our hotel room in Seattle. Too bad you didn't get much free time. There is so much to do in London. It's interesting how these important people can almost shut a city down when they visit. I had a similar experience in Paris during my visit there. It was impossible to get any where.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »
What, no shower!?  That faucet in the tub is located in a weird spot.  I would like the hot water falling on my feet, not my....uh...well.... never mind.....

I noticed the king didn't get a warm reception from everyone...  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2771570.ece
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Gee I just never have any fun. LOL. Once though I do remember seeing a couple dozen men jogging past my house all in a clump. Thought it was very odd. I do see maybe two people jogging together but usually just one at a time. After they were past and I was still staring and wondering, it dawned on me that Clinton was in town and that must have been he and his entourage of protection people.

That bathroom doesn't look like what I would like. It is interesting though to see how the other half lives all the time.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
So, did ya have to bathe on the left side too?!?!?   ;D

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »
Wondered where you were Mike :) Sounds like quite the weekend and I doubt unless the scale is way off that you had a bath did you.. looks tiny!

Good to have you back :)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
I love those funky faucets!  They look like reindeer heads.   lol

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 06:52:35 AM »
Shower and loo were in seperate 'rooms'. All the hot water came out instantly hot when the hot tap was turned on - no letting it run for a little while waiting - quite impressed with that I was.

Each in our group all said the same thing about the sink though - so easy to splash around and splatter the glass wall - we all laughed at how carefully we were brushing our teeth.

Because the building itself is historic, the hotel could not add or remove walls - basically no structural changes are allowed, so the glass panels and draperies were everywhere to divide off spaces. One could push a button though, and the drapes around the glass shower cubicle would glide away, hmmmmm . . . . .

One of the other hotels were toured was the Dorchester. Exact opposite. Ladies having high tea in the lobby, carpets that tickle the knees, and the quiet hum of serious money. The chop sticks in their Chinese restaurant "China Tang" were silver and therefore quite heavy. Our host said he could get us the wooden ones if we prefered - "Oh no, I am happy to battle with these!"

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
I think I would break my neck climbing into that tub!

I would love to visit London, always been a dream of mine. Going for work would not be as fun though......
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
Very classt digs!  Your absence was noted.
LeeAnne, just have Bob get in first. o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"