Author Topic: The Parrot Feather Divide....Got Red Stem PF from bonnie!  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Parrot Feather Divide
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »
Mikey, I have noticed that I will grab up a previous note and turn it over to put important info on the back. Then I can't find the original note. BAD!!!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
Nice pond Blind Too, now what was that called? Oh dear wasen't I just begging for something? :thinking: I'm really startting to lose it as I have 3 times now forgotten to set my alarm clock for work and woke up late.  >:(- 8-)~
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
   My boss says "when your memory goes..............................Forget it!"
  Anyway, for work I have this great little recorder about the size of a cell phone. I call it my memory stick. I record anything I need to remember, work or home. It takes just a few seconds to review in the morning and after work.   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
That sounds right up my alley but I would probably forget where I put it. I have a coffie cup that says when the mind goes blank, turn off the sound.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 08:22:41 PM »
Unfortunately I need to leave myself detailed notes so I can remember why I have a note written that I can't find.  Now if I can remember why I need the note I can't find we'll be ok.  Unless of course......

lol You guys are so funny  :D

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
A friend of mine pointed to the string tied around my finger and asked, "so what is it that you're trying to remember?".  I looked at my finger and saw the string, then at him, and said, "so THAT'S what the string on my finger is for!"  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Funny but sad Blind'Too.  I actually tied a string around my finger with a nice bow.  Spent so much time trying to make it look nice I forgot the reason I started.  :D

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
miguynmkoi
I don't think you need to sink your Parrot's Feather to the bottom of the pond. I don't do anything to winterize mine here and I'm colder than you. I have it growing in a barrel like you do, only in gravel in a pot and growing in the pond between the rocks. I've never done anything to it for winter except maybe cut it back a bit.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline mystic dragonfly

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
Hi All, what great fun this site is,I just love it.If anyone would like to put me on thier plant list,I would just love some.I have never done any trading,don't know how.How do you all ship for trading? I am a greenhorn to say the least.I love ponding and have only been at ti about four years now.Just built my second pond.I can't finish till next spring.Winter are hard here, and the only plants I can overwinter are the hardies,or what I can sink below water level. I use a horse tank heater to keep ice open.Ican use any plants you all want to get rid of.lol 8-)~ thanks to all the teachers who are on this site I am now hooked on ponding 8-)~
                                                                                                             Karen Travis
                                                                                                           Po box 3208
                                                                                                            LaPine,OR 97739

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »
Welcome to the Obsession, Karen!!

I've received by purchase or generosity many well cushioned packages of beautiful plants from members here.  Keep your eyes on the section on this Forum: Aquatic and Terrestrial Plant Exchange.  You may come across plants or something you like.  That's how I started.  And always remember to leave a "Feedback" for the member you receive things from.

I have not sent anything out yet but have learned how to package plants by example.  This spring I hope to get busy sending out plants to a few members here who are special to me.  :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
Karen, I travel to Redmond for work a lot. I would be happy to meet you in Bend and share plants next spring. I probably won't cross the mountain again this year.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
 lol lol lol lol

Glad to see your PF is doing so well. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
Hey Kat!  I have you to thank for the wonderful Parrot Feather.  They're definitely maintenance free and beautiful.  I'm sure Blind 'Too had to feed his parrot feathers very often  lol lol

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2007, 06:45:03 PM »
  DH and I always say "If your memory goes................................Forget it!" >:(-

I have a "memory stick" recorder that I LOVE. It was supposed to be for recording data for work, but it has 3 dfferent cattegories and I can use 1 for work, 1 for home and 1 for anything else.
  Love love love it!
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »
I bought one of those little personal voice recorders one day, but when I got home with it I couldn't remember why I bought it.  By the time I remembered why I bought it I had forgotten to take it with me.  When I got home I couldn't remember where I put it, and now I can't remember what it is that I'm looking for.   {:-P;;
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »
 lol lol lol

I have one of those tiny recorders which uses a single AAA battery.  I always forget to turn it off so I had to buy many batteries.  Then I bought rechargeable batteries.  I forgot they were rechargeable and tossed them  >:(- (recycled batteries - but they don't take rechargeable ones!). 

Really sad but at least we remember to laugh!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
Bonnie!   @O@ Just received your package.  The plants looked wonderful and looking like you just put them in the box (fancy wrapping paper I might add).  They look very strong with great roots.  I've plunked them in water for now and will be potting my new collection this weekend.

Checks in the mail.  Thanks again Bonnie!

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Parrot Feather Divide....Got Red Stem PF from bonnie!
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »
You're very welcome..

Bonnie!   @O@ Just received your package.  The plants looked wonderful and looking like you just put them in the box (fancy wrapping paper I might add).  They look very strong with great roots.  I've plunked them in water for now and will be potting my new collection this weekend.

Checks in the mail.  Thanks again Bonnie!

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 06:00:49 AM »
miguynmkoi;
    Sorry I took so long. Here are the links to those sites. I think Bonnie is about to hook me up with some parrot feather (Red Stemmed and I am going to containerize it ( I know that will only slow it down not stop it but make make it manageable)

http://www.watergarden.com/ http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.630/.f

http://www.lilyblooms.com/redstemmedparrotsfeather-p-250299008.html

Andy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:29:21 AM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
Hey Andy, thanks for the sites.  I haven't seen that page for the WaterGarden but it sure is a nice page and full of ideas  :D

You maintain your pond pretty well it seems so I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem with the red PF.  Just keep your eye on it  ;)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 04:57:26 AM »
Yes in dee dee come spring I have to find me some of that. I just like the way it looks! and my fihs will love hidding in it. o(
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 09:34:26 AM »
No promises but if the red stem PF that Bonnie just sent to me (really healthy rooted cuttings) makes it through our winter  :D I'll send some to you.  I have you on my list  O0
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:44:34 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2007, 04:34:58 AM »
Oh thank You Annette, Your a doll! would you like some bog bean? It's interesting and tough as old boot laces!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »
 ;D That sounds different Debbie.  Let's wait til spring to see what's going on.  But keep me in mind for "beans"  :D

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2007, 05:25:15 AM »
Bog Bean.....  I looked into this plant some time ago  still a contender for use in my pond at some point just haven't decided where at this point. My Lizard tail did well this year as did my spider lilies and it looks like I will be addind some parrots feather so I am running out embankment (with suitable light requirements) One thing I did note is that Bogbean is an herbal medicine used for rheumatoid arthritis. Other names for Bogbean include: Menyanthes trifoliata, Marsh Trefoil, and Buckbean.
Always good to know when you have a natural medicine in your own back yard....  O0
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 06:04:19 AM »
;D That sounds different Debbie.  Let's wait til spring to see what's going on.  But keep me in mind for "beans"  :D
Well she doesen't produce a bean but a real cute little white fuzzy looking flower. She is easy to devide tho cuz sshe has lots of long air like roots.

Bog Bean.....  I looked into this plant some time ago  still a contender for use in my pond at some point just haven't decided where at this point. My Lizard tail did well this year as did my spider lilies and it looks like I will be addind some parrots feather so I am running out embankment (with suitable light requirements) One thing I did note is that Bogbean is an herbal medicine used for rheumatoid arthritis. Other names for Bogbean include: Menyanthes trifoliata, Marsh Trefoil, and Buckbean.
Always good to know when you have a natural medicine in your own back yard....  O0

so Andy where do you look up all your plants? I havent found a good site yet that gives me the info I want on water plants.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007, 08:42:25 PM »
Debbie, I do not have any one site but a combination of several and I try and keep it to a small handful of reliable ones.

So I am excited that I have my spring project!! Bonnie sent me some parrot feather starts as well as sonme other assorted plants. Now all I have to do is baby them until spring!

Thanks again Bonnie!

Andy

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
Andy, no babyin' required.. your FL sunshine is all they need! :)
And you're very welcome, like I said it's possible in the future that I might ask for a start back! :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"