Author Topic: WATERFALLS  (Read 3136 times)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
WATERFALLS
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:32:40 PM »
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE PROPER WAY TO BUILD A WATERFALL OR SEND ME A LINK CAUSE MINE LEAKS AND I CAN'T FIND THE LEAK SO I DON'T LEAVE IT ON ALL THE TIME CAUSE IT DRAINS MY POND...LORRAINE    :'(
lorraine

Offline steelyphil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: WATERFALLS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »
Just get some expanding black foam, can't remember what its called though and fill at all the places there might be a leak.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »
Hi Lorraine,
It might help to post some pics of the current waterfall.

Usually pond liner is use with the waterfall.  Attatch it to where the water comes in (is why pics might be helpful)

Always make sure all edges of the liner are above the level of the water in the falls/stream.  This can be done using rocks to sandwich the liner between and then another rock to hide it.  It may help to use bricks or blocks under the liner to help form the waterway.  The foam mentioned above can be bought and used (the black is $$ because it says POND on it) or you can use the yellow foam sold at big box stores (why can't I think of the name of it??) and either let nature take it's course and turn it green or sprinkle sand on it when it's used.  This can be used between and behind the rocks actually in the falls itself to stack rocks or keep the water from going under the rocks.  Much of the excess foam that is showing can be trimmed away as well and a can of black or gray spraypaint can do wonders to hide it too.

Mary
Mary

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:44:42 PM »
The yellow kind if called Great Stuff.  Just becareful, because it don't and won't come off skin, but a very effective product for about 3 or 4 dollars a can. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »
Thank you Kim for the product name.  Twas a brain fart  :o or CRS  8).. not sure which  ::)

Mary
Mary

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
the weird thing is the only way i know its leaking is as u see its on a hill well in the back under the hill 2 small areas at the bottom gets 2 little puddles and i can see the water evel go down after a couple hours.i did use the foam and yes it took 2 weeks to get off my skin..it was sooo gross feeling and no i didn't listen and put gloves on.anyway i have liner screwed on the sides of the weir and under the fall.maybe not large enough liner under it and around it and i need to put the bricks under it thats a good idea...lordy lordy taking it apart and redoing it  >:(- but i need too..thanks guys i really appreciate all of u and i am having a blast here...i was on anotehr site and they were so rude there so i left and found you all....what a blessing...thanks...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
It looks great.  Yes, I love this site as well......I still go by the old saying, and I've taught my kids too........If you don't have anything good to say, don't say nothing at all. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline TerryB

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:44:32 AM »
  Just wondering if that "great Stuff" foam is toxic to the fish? If not that might be an answer to some of my questions about fastening and fabricating rocks and planters around my pond. I use it all the time for filling up gaps in walls but never thought about it being used around my pond.

Don't feel to silly abpout getting it on your skin either Lorraine. I promise myself about everytime I use the stuff I won't get it on my skin. I mean theres a long tube it comes out, the hole is in the wall and it doesn't shoot out like water in a hose. But everytime I don't use gloves I walk around for a week looking like I am a lepper. Terrible when you get an itch on the nose with that stuff on your hands.

Offline Mikey

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:35:31 PM »
Just wondering if that "great Stuff" foam is toxic to the fish?
It's fine once it dries.  I built my pond 10+ year ago and I'm still picking that stuff off my hands...  ;)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Mikey

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:53:57 PM »
Here's a couple of waterfall building links:

http://www.naturalwaterfall.com/buildyourown.asp?hop=chesage (complete the e-mail request and then you will access his/her on-line book...)

http://www.californiawaterscapes.com/Waterfall-build.htm
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline TerryB

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Mikey. I guess it's endless what you can do with waterfalls. Those links sure made me think about how you can make the appearence of your pond look bigger without increasing the size.

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
  Hi Terry---- feel free to call me.... I have dealt with leaky ponds from time to time... and will gladly help you wittle down possiblities to get you on the right track.... call me anytime after 8:30 central time---
210 836 6892   
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
If you listen to no-one else, listen to Carlos!

He is the master,
 but using the KISS theory, use quilt batting between the rocks along the edges and in a short time will stop all leaks.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"