Author Topic: MAJOR bummer!!!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
MAJOR bummer!!!
« on: December 01, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »
So we had this horrendous rain storm the past couple days, and when I looked out at the pond I noticed the water level was extremely high.  No worries, I thought, I do have a drain built in to keep the water from overflowing, and it runs out to the street.  Today, I went to check on the fish and the water was about 3-4 inches lower than normal and I couldn't figure what happened.

When I looked in the pond, stuff was knocked over and larger rocks that were on ledges on the sides were at the bottom.  Not good, what could it be, I wondered.  I did a head count: 3 koi, 4 orange Wakins, 2 shubbies, Tancho and Peanut...a couple Hifin Sharks...okay, so it wasn't the heron wreaking havoc.

Then I saw it.  Holy crap!  Since the ground is mostly sandstone beneath the pond, I apparently got a lot of water under the liner.  Some common sense allowed me to figure it out: the water under the liner filled in and pressed the liner up, bubbling it from underneath.  When it pushed up the liner, the water level rose and drained out as it's designed to.  As the water started receding under the liner today, the liner began to settle back down and subsequently the water level receded with it.

This kinda sucks...wasn't planning on playing in the cold pond water today, but I don't have a big choice in the matter.

MAJOR BUMMER!   >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(-
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: MAJOR bummer!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »
Ah nuts, that's too bad. :-\
Hope you don't have too much damage to deal with.
It rained here all last night. When I got up this morning the driveway was standing in water.
The horses were standing in water. It was a mess.
I talked to my landlord yesterday who is in CA and he said they had the first rain they had seen in over a year there.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »
Mike, Sorry you got a blow-in.  Even worst it's cold, brrrrrr.  Maybe your pond is larger now?!

Desertponder is hoof deep in water  ;D  Hope all is settled and horses dried out.

But we needed the rain.  SoCal has been exceptionally dried in the past few years.  My small lily ponds overflowed which is ok.  Fairy moss everywhere, that's ok.  Koi pond drained as designed, ok.  I don't know how much rain we gained for the first time in ages but it had to be at least an inch!  I bailed water out of one of my 25gal round tubs for small lily plants by at least half an inch after raining all morning.  Before mid afternoon it was full again.  Had I known it was going to rain (weatherman forecast we would be lucky to get minimal if any rain only 2 days before) I would not have topped off any of the ponds last Sunday.

The ashes that blew over our house 4 weeks ago from the local forest fire has finally been washed off the roofs and the ground surface cleaned away by the rain.  AND my car is cleaner  @O@ Thanks to Mother Nature.  o(:-)

I enjoy our rainy days!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »
Sorry for your troubles Michael but hopefully we will get some more of that wet stuff.........and hopefully it will stay on top of your liner - not below the liner.......
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:50:48 AM »
yeah, we needed the rain, maybe not so much of it all at once!  I'm just glad it was what it was and not a hole in the liner, which was my first fear (until I saw the bubble in the liner).  The water level is an inch or two lower this am, which is a good sign that the water is soaking into the earth below.

I had to take a bunch of stuff out, like my platform and slate, which gives the poor fishies nothing to hide under, so I know they're freaking out.  But...this gives me a chance to do a good cleaning of the bottom and to take some pictures of how I set this up.  Now if I can figure out how to get some of those big rocks off the bottom...maybe I'll leave them there.   :-\
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »
Desertponder is hoof deep in water  Grin  Hope all is settled and horses dried out.

LOL! Getting there. We still have standing water in the driveway and in the one part of the horses pens. We moved them
over to another area so they were'nt in such a mess. We need some wind or something to help get rid of the water.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:10:11 AM »
Sorry about the pond Michael,  :( but all of ya did need the rain. My nephew's MIL lost everything down there including a bird that looks just like your. She did get her dogs out tho. To bad the rain didn't hit before that fire got so out of controll.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 07:23:19 AM »
More on the way by Friday they say.  Badly needed.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:42:36 PM »
That is a bummer, but glad it wasn't a hole. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"