Author Topic: Horrible shooting today in my hometown  (Read 1405 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Horrible shooting today in my hometown
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:32:13 PM »
I'm sure many of you have heard about the mall shooting in Omaha. This is the closest mall to our home. Thankfully none of my family members were there at the time. The shooter died from a self inflicted gunshot and took 8 innocent people with him. Names of those killed have not been released. Hopefully none of them will be friends or aquantences, although whoever they are will have loved ones who will be impacted for a long time by this horrific senseless act.
Please keep our city in your thoughts and prayers. And appreciate each day you have. Who would ever think that shopping at your local mall could be the last thing you ever did in your lifetime.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible shooting today in my hometown
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
Cath,

I just read about it online on my hometown newspaper website.  I lived in Yankton, SD most of my life and just moved to Alabama November of 2006.

I have a couple of real good friends that live in Omaha and am going to try to get ahold of them today to make sure they are ok.

I feel terrible for everyone that was killed/injured and their family members and all the other people that were there.  I'm sure it will be in everyone's minds for a long time to come.

I just wonder how bad it has to be for someone to do those kinds of things.  You just never know what will happen anymore.

Hope everyone your concerned about are ok!

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »
Tonya,
  They released the names this morning and none are people we know. That's good news for us but still very bad news for 8 groups of family members and friends. They ranged in age from 24 to 66. My heart aches for these victim's loved ones and also for anyone who was in the mall at the time. I can only imagine that what they saw and heard will stick with them for ages.
  My aunt and cousin had been shopping there the day before. That makes you realize how unpredictable life can be. It could have easily been them had they decided to go on Wed. rather than Tues. Very scary world!!
  I hope your friends are ok too.
Take care,
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
You know, I can almost understand that guy shooting someone he feels hurt him terribly. I'm not saying it would be right but I could ALMOST understand someone feeling driven to kill someone who had wronged them. But what I will never understand is when people damage property for the fun of it or when people go on a killing spree like this guy did. They said his girlfriend had just dumped him and he had been fired from a job recently for stealing.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:46:31 AM »
I heard about that, it's just terrible.  I'm sorry it happened so close to you.   :'(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »
Very horrible and sad.  My prayers to the innocent ones and the loved ones we lost.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »
It turns out that my husband knew one of the victims. They worked together at the job my husband was at before his present one. They would connect now and then but hadn't done so for a while. He said he was a really neat guy. Very, very sad.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
Oh, I'm so glad that you, your family and friends were safe. 

I will never understand why someone has to do such a thing.  If your going to kill yourself in the end, why not just do that and let the innocent be.  Crazy!!!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"