Author Topic: Silk Koi  (Read 1609 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Silk Koi
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Silk embroidery is found everywhere in China but when I saw this framed silkscreen stand I immediately thought of my babes at home.  Of course the koi in the silkscreen don't look half as beautiful as my mutts at home  ;D

The embroidery itself is about 6' x 3' set in a massive polished wood carved frame and base stand.  It's see through too.  Makes it perfect for a room divider.  Only for 26,000 yuans!  Cheap!  :o

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Silk Koi
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »
Very pretty!  How much is 26,000 yuans in dollars?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Chinese yuan renminbi      to      United States dollar
26,000.000000 ¥        =       3,513.443278 US$

While in China we saw more US $ leave our pockets when we did money exchanges as the days went by.  My DH happen to be carrying some Canadian $ in his pocket from a recent trip to Canada and was able to get more yuans vs the US$.  Can$ was higher than the US$ by about 5 cents!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
Boy wouldn't I love to have the equipment that produced that? My work would be a beginner, compared to that. It's wonderful.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:50:24 AM »
That is so pretty!  And a bargain.   :D

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:37 AM »
Wow! it's beautiful!

I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
Boy wouldn't I love to have the equipment that produced that?

Unfortunately most of the well made Screens are made by hand.  I visited a "factory" onetime in China and there are many women working on their own screens, trying to produce as fast as they can to keep up the competition to save their jobs.  It's sad but these young women will probably only work on silk embroidery, professionally, for about 5 to 8 years max.  Either their fingers get too stiff or they loose their eye sight for working on such fine work.

Sorry to be such a bore.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
Not boring at all Annette.  China, until relatively recently, has been pretty much a closed society.  Do you think it will continue to open up?  I would think the people in Hong Kong would have a significant impact on the Chinese government giving more freedom.  Did you experience the smog or pollution we have been hearing so much about?  My neighbor works for a company that makes scrubbers for factory discharges so that the air is purified.  They sold a number of these systems to China before they copied the technology and started making their own.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 06:05:47 PM »
Well that is quite the question Mike.  Deep breathe intake.....

I really haven't kept up with the news in the past couple of years unless it affects me directly, and even then... :D  In my opinion China has changed from when the communists first took over.  I've noticed in the past 10 years or more that the Chinese gov't has been opening up to money making ideas.  $$ Economics does make the world go round.  Unfortunately, you're either very rich or very poor...that's with a billion or more people!

I remember when China took HK back from the British many people in HK made another mass exodus to protect their freedom and $$.  Now everyone is happier in HK without the British draining all the revenues and Mainland is letting people become entrepreneurs and actually keep their fortunes in HK (business as usual) and Mainland.  Foriegn Entrepreneurs are also banking on the wealth of cheap labor and massive opportunities in manufacturing production (you've seen it first hand).   Have you noticed that everything sold in the biggest retail businesses such as Costco or Walmart is made in China?  You think you are wearing designer labels made in Italy or France?  Think again!   

Mainland people cannot freely travel to HK, Macau, or beyond its own borders.  But people from these outlying islands can move freely around China. 

China has improved in many ways during the past decade but I see where they can afford to learn the correct protocols in taking care of their people and management of all their natural resources.  They definitely have lots to learn and they will make mistakes, but that's how we all learn, isn't it.  It like the Japanese learning to get back on their feet way back when from the US+.

I have read the Olympics in Beijing next year has brought many corrective situations about to improve China's image.  I only hope they stay on track even after the games.

Many places I have visited in China, especially the big cities, are very polluted (I can only say that in the winter when I dare visit there it is quite smoggy, Can you imagine hot and humid weather?)  But for the first time in the recent trip to China's southwest province of Yunnan especially in the higher elevations it was beautiful and pristine, Cleaner and more clear than any place I've been before.

But that's my opinion..... :o

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »
Awwwwww, that's beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"