Author Topic: New Fish Behavior  (Read 923 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Fish Behavior
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »

Christmas Day, I got outside and removed all the vines that had been trained on wires up over my pond.  (Left a very few main trunks, and I know they will regrow once the spring is upon us.)

So now it's sunny in my yard, instead of dappled light.  Well, the fish in the pond have been hanging down at the bottom.  They don't even come up at feeding time, not until the food has been on the surface for a good while. 

Could be because it's a tad cold here.  But I'm thinking they're getting used to the new lighting conditions.  Seems strange, not having them splashing around.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Fish Behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
Yup, they know they are more vulnerable now. My poor guys first miss the lily pads, then they hide under the waterfall splash, then I take they have nothing to hide under. Fortunately for them it isn't long and the pond freezes over and they are safe again.

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
My pond is new, so the fish have been in it less then a year, but my goldfish seem to have taken up residence around and under, a large piece of drift wood I put in the pond when it was built. They started doing that when the waterlilies died back, but come out when there is ice on the pond.

vicky

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »
Our big guys stay under the DIY bottom drain pipes...koi like to have some sort of cover....during the winter if I don't have the pond covered...then I float the lids off of rubber maid totes on the water---of course now none of my totes have lids on them {:-P;;...but, the koi are happy...it also helps to keep the koi from jumping out of my sale tanks....all of my sale tanks have something floating in them for the koi to hide under...it seems to give them security....remember they are on the bottom of the food chain....and they seem to know it...as far as hanging out at the bottom during cold weather----all of mine do that---its just because they are cold and they are conserving energy....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Welcome Vicky,  you look like you're new here!

Julles, my fish, most of which have been swimming in my pond for 7 years or so, seem to kick into shy mode every winter, when the days are shorter.  But come spring and longer days they become pigs again.  Not that they haven't been begging for food, everyday!  I'm sure it's a built in protection defense mode.  I still have plenty of water lettuce, yucky looking ones, for them to hide under.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

The leaves haven't grown back yet, and all that openness and light still catches me off guard, when I walk out there.  Now that they're a bit more used to it, the fish do come out a lot more now - especially at feeding time.   ;)

My goldfish seem to have adopted the same behavior as the koi, swimming around in one large school - it's funny watching the fat fantails trying to keep up.

But it's also neat to watch - I have a pot set on top of two bricks, and there's enough space between the bricks for small fish to swim.  It's cool to watch the fish disappear behind the mound, then reappear from inbetween the two bricks.  The larger fish can't do that, and I think the smaller goldfish have fun swimming through their "tunnel," as they'll do it over and over again.

For the bigger guys, the milk crates supporting my flower pots have large holes cut in the sides, and the koi will make a point of swimming through them - rather than swimming around the crates.  Fish like to play, too!

But... I have been cautioned by folks right here, to be careful about the size of those openings... At some point, the koi will grow so large they may become stuck in the holes I've cut.  Need to check that each spring when I break things down and clean.

My Guy - I like to hide out, too, when it's cold and gloomy and dark!  Hmmm... Wish I could pop in a DVD and wrap up in a blankie and spend my Sunday on the couch.   8)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"