Author Topic: Who buys algae?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Who buys algae?
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
Was searching ebay for plants and came across this auction for hair algae.  Give me a break.   Why would you want to buy hair algae.  Most of us are trying to get rid of the stuff.  Maybe we should think of making a few extra bucks.  ;) lol 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hair-Algae-live-aquatic-plant-for-aquariums-or-pond_W0QQitemZ230211014681QQihZ013QQcategoryZ66794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Central IL zone 5

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Who buys algae?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »
Very amusing!  Some one has an enterprising mind.  ;D  My string algae....I'll give it away for postage  :D
For something right now I have some pea soup algae growing fresh, organically, in my lily pond.  Do I have any takers?  ;) lol

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
NOT ME !  lol lol lol I have all I want !

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
OH MAN. I"M just sick. We threw out buckets of the stuff about 4-5 years ago when it got away from us and the poor fishies had to make tunnels to get around in the pond. That is when I invented the Twirl and Hurl dance. You mean I could have sold it???? Just sick. We are so stupid. Every summer after that we have fought it every way we can. And all along it could have been earning money for us. Well that's the last time I'll try to kill it. Now I just have to find people dumber than me.

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:56:37 AM »
I got a good laugh out of that as well.  I will be curious to see if anyone is dumb enough to buy it. 

I too was pulling it out by the buckets several years ago.  I sure hope it won't get that out of control again this spring. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
Oh my.  If someone buys it that's when two fools met.  One for offering to sell it and one for buying it. 

Its ashame people take advantage of others. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:55 AM »
Well Ky Kim I guess we have a couple of fools then.  I was curious to see if anyone was dumb enough to bid on the auctions, so just checked this morning and sure enough on the 2 auctions that they have for hair algae both of them have bids.  Apparently these people have no clue what hair algae is. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:31:53 AM »
Some vivarium keepers use hair algae in the wet portions of their tanks. It looks nice in a small viv and frogs and newts love it. Mosses don't do nearly as well and as we know hair algae is indestructible. So it does have a use.
Annette, interestingly enough I just had someone in my aquarium club looking for someone with green water. I can't remember what he wanted it for but I know that some Japanese breeders of fancy goldfish believe that green water is excellent for raising goldfish in. Of course they don't pay huge money for them and don't necessarily need to see them day in and day out.  lol
Kay
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:43:05 AM by Kay »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:50 AM »

I bet there are other uses, too.  Perhaps animal feed, or a medium to grow something else, like spirulena or whatever they call that "wonder food" algae people were eating some years back.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »
I know that Siamese Algae Eaters will clear a tank of it in short order.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
Annette, interestingly enough I just had someone in my aquarium club looking for someone with green water. I can't remember what he wanted it for but I know that some Japanese breeders of fancy goldfish believe that green water is excellent for raising goldfish in. Of course they don't pay huge money for them and don't necessarily need to see them day in and day out.

So am I in business or not?  lol lol lol  No wonder the feeder GF I purchased for the lily ponds to eat the mosquitoes are growing so big when I do not even feed them.  They're loving the green pea soup!  ;D

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
So am I in business or not?  lol lol lol  No wonder the feeder GF I purchased for the lily ponds to eat the mosquitoes are growing so big when I do not even feed them.  They're loving the green pea soup!  ;D
[/quote]
Depends on how well you market  lol
Feeder GF are genetically similar to hair algae. They will thrive on nothing and grow to huge proportions ;)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »
 lol lol lol  Funnnnny, Kay!

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »
I know that Siamese Algae Eaters will clear a tank of it in short order.

including the inhabitants of the tank if they grow bigger. 
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"