Author Topic: More news, no question, not good  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More news, no question, not good
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
From Dawn about Braeden: 

Ok, gang, I promised to post test results when we got them. Unfortunately, they aren't exactly what we'd hoped for. First the great: Braeden's bone marrow aspiriate and biopsy came back clear. His abdominal CT was normal. His bone scan was perfect. Next is the mixed bag: his 24 hour urine came back showing his catecholamines still slightly elevated (they were pre-transplant as well). They are, however, MUCH MUCH lower than last May! {Catecholamines are substances that are in urine, but are elevated in a large percentage of kids with neuroblastoma} Dr. Mageed and Dr. Axtell were not concerned about this at that point, they just said we would likely need to watch Braeden more closely than originally thought. Wednesday Braeden had his MIBG scan. This is a nuclear med scan that uses MIBG, as substance absorbed by neuroblastoma cells, to "light up" areas of concern (i.e. where there are neuroblastoma cells). Dr. Axtell called this afternoon to tell me that Braeden's scan came back with a new "brighter" spot near his collarbone on the right side (there should be a bright spot on each side, but his right side is brighter than the left). He needs to have a CT scan done of that area to rule out a problem. We are hopeful that it was just an issue of body position in the scanner. At this time, Dr. Axtell isn't worrying, so neither are we, but we wanted to let you all know so you can all be praying about this! We so appreciate our prayer warriors! Braeden should be having his CT in the next week or so, we will keep you all posted. Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:58:21 AM by Esther »

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Don't know if this is good news or bad.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »
Keeping him (you and your family) in my thoughts and prayers Esther.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:07:31 AM »
Still praying here too, Esther!   :hug:

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
We are praying for Braeden also, Esther, and for you and your family.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »
Thanks everyone. The car problems still haven't been solved. Kevin is riding to work with a guy who lives near him. He has my van for "just in case". Pete was on vacation all last week so we could use his work truck but this coming week I'll have nothing to drive. But if I needed it, Kevin could bring the van to me on his way to work because it is only about 3 miles from here. I really don't mind not having a car all the time. Mostly I just stay home and sew anyway. Oh and get on the computer LOL.

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »
Will keep praying Esther.

Sorry we don't live closer or I'd loan you a vehicle. 
Mary

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »
Will keep for them Esther .

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: More news, no question, not good
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
Well, more frustration. Braeden started his accutane last Tuesday. They warned us about dry skin, but wow! By Thursday he was a peely mess. Friday night he slept terribly, and Saturday he woke up throwing up a bunch of times. We gave him zofran, and he seemed to get better that day. He slept poorly all weekend and was irritble as can be. He started complaining it hurt to go potty, and sure enough, he has a nasty rash. His face, lips, eyelids and feet are peeling. He's been miserable. Today Dr. Axtell told us to discontinue the accutane. He feels all of this is related and a problem of toxicity. Right now the plan is to give him a couple weeks break, and try again at a lower dose and see if we can build up gradually to where he should be. Kinda scary, since everyone stressed how important this stuff is! Hopefully he will be back to normal in a day or two, and we can get rested up and try again. Please pray for good results, we have heard so much about how important this therapy is, but obviously he has to be able to tolerate it.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Oh my, how miserable the little guy must have been.

I am interested to know what the accutane is supposed to do.  My son took it for acne when he was a teenager.  He had to take a very high dose in order to dry his skin, but it never got any ways near that bad, mostly cracked lips and dry mouth were the only problems.  It did work on the acne amazingly well, but I remember it cost $500 a month, could only be taken in the winter and came with a lot of warnings and regular checks on his kidneys.  We would never had done this except his acne was very bad and he was scarring deeply.

It does sound like they gave him too much, too soon.  Hopefully, they can start over and get it straightened out.

Hugs to little Braeden,
Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »
Yes Karen, you are right. Acutane is used mainly for acne. But it is also thought to turn off the cancer part of the cancer cells and put it back to normal tissue. They knew it would have possible side affects too.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »
This "prayer warrior" is still at work, Esther.  That poor little baby boy has been through so much, it just seems it's time for a break.  I'll pray extra hard for him.   o(:-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 12:53:43 AM »
Geeez, he must be misurable.  Hope he recovers from it quickly, and they get it all balanced out.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »
Hugs and prayers for you and your family.  Such a hard thing to go through..keep the faith!
Mary

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
Poor little guy.  I hope he can recover quickly.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
So much that this little guy has to go through.  I hope it stops soon.  So hard on everyone.  emm

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »
Thanks for the update, sorry it wasn't 100% what you hoped, but will definatly keep him in my prayers.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"