Author Topic: Pond Filter Questions  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Filter Questions
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »

Anyone have experience with the FishMate brand of filters?  I am considering the pressurized non-UV canister filter, half-way down the page.

http://futurepet.com/Pond_Filters.htm 

Anyone know about the PowerClenz concept?  Supposedly, you only turn a knob, and the filter "self cleans."  I am wondering how well that actually works, and if you ever need to completely break the filter down and clean it manually.

Also, what makes a filter more effective? ...
Larger capacity? (Meaning, using a 2000 gal capacity filter on a 700 gallon pond)
Faster water flowing through it?
Cleaning it more frequently than the once-a-week recommended by mfgr?

Thanks for any info.  I'm still debating getting rid of my bog filter and switching back to a bio filter.  Will expand the pond this spring, and will need to decide before then.

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Filter Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
I've used a pressure filter similar to the "PowerClenz" but without the self cleaning feature. Personally I would be a little sceptical about the self cleaning because mine is not and it does take a significant amount of rinsing to thoroughly clean the crud out of the filter media. I can't see a short term backflow of water doing much of a job so that's probably why they recommend weekly cleaning. Possibly other users of the "self cleaning" variety could comment further. I use a pressure filter rated at "3500 gallons" and 1200 gph on my small 500 gallon pond & 20' stream with a 1000 gph pump. Given the height of the head, length of hose and bio falls filter at the far end I would guess that actual flow is around 700 - 800 gph. I'm no expert but I would think in general terms, the lower the flow rate, the better the filtration. The larger the filter capacity, the less frequent cleaning is necessary and that would result in less back pressure on the pump... and greater sustained flow. My pond was fairly cruddy prior to installing the filter and I found that cleaning every 3 weeks was more than adequate because the "clean" indicator had not popped up yet and flow through the filter was still excellent. The down side of an oversized filter is a bigger hole and more space required for installation.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »

Anyone have experience with the FishMate brand of filters?  I am considering the pressurized non-UV canister filter, half-way down the page.

http://futurepet.com/Pond_Filters.htm 

Anyone know about the PowerClenz concept?  Supposedly, you only turn a knob, and the filter "self cleans."  I am wondering how well that actually works, and if you ever need to completely break the filter down and clean it manually.

Also, what makes a filter more effective? ...
Larger capacity? (Meaning, using a 2000 gal capacity filter on a 700 gallon pond)
Faster water flowing through it?
Cleaning it more frequently than the once-a-week recommended by mfgr?

Thanks for any info.  I'm still debating getting rid of my bog filter and switching back to a bio filter.  Will expand the pond this spring, and will need to decide before then.

I don't have a Fishmate but I do have a Bioforce and the knockoff, cheaper Jebo filter, both with UV. Both of them have the back flush feature and I like them.
They backflush well but I don't want them to get things real clean because both have the sponges that house the biobugs. I got the ones rated for my size pond and they do a good job. I run them slow enough for the UV to work and that seems to keep the ponds clean and the fish happy. I don't have a bottom drain so I vacuum the bottom of my ponds with my water changes. They might not be the best option for big ponds but for my 1000 gallon ones they work great. I backflush mine when the waterfall slows down a bit. I usually take mine apart and store them for the winter replacing the UV bulb for spring. There is a just a good amount of bio in the sponges but it smells healthy (if that makes sense) so I think they do their job.
Kay

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:39 AM »

Thank you guys, that's a lot of info.  I really think I am going back to the bio filter... everything changed and all my plants died when I switched over to the bog filter, and cleaning 600lbs of gravel every couple months is a drag.  Plus, the bog takes up so much room.

Maybe some more people will give more input on their own filters / experience.

Thanks,

Julles

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
What do you need the filter to do? total filtration? Bio? Mechanical?

I've not been a fan of those small pressurized filters as they just didn't seem like enough to do the job, but it probably depends on the job they are given to do. 

I am planning a watergarden/goldie pond this summer (at least one  {:-P;;) and will most likely use a DIY sand/gravel filter with settlement in front of it.
Mary

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
Small pond lightly stocked for sure on those pressurized filters.
How will you do the DIY filter? Do tell :) What goes where and how..
Kay

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »
Don't know anything about your pond. I wouldn't rely on a do it all filter, even if your pond is 700 gallons. You want a good mechanical filter, and a separate good biofilter, among other things. Some people use canister filters for polishing the water, after all the other filtration has occurred.

Check out koiphen.com or koishack.com in the pond construction/filtration areas. Koiphen has a huge page of all different kinds of filters if your at all inclined to DIY—last link, lots of pictures—have to join for the pics...

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/filters.htm

http://www.catson4ponds.com/FilterOverview.html

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38259

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
Small pond lightly stocked for sure on those pressurized filters.
How will you do the DIY filter? Do tell :) What goes where and how..
Kay

Kay as was mentioned both Koiphen and Koishack have a LOT of DIY filters.

I've really liked my sand/gravel filters.  http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36550 is the thread..Kent Wallace is a pro pond builder and renovator.  He does a lot of pond re-do's that were in poor to awful shape  :P  He uses the sand/gravel filter quite a bit in his construction projects.  I have lots of plans for filters..just not sure yet where I will use all the pieces I've gathered!
Mary

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
I did the Kent Wallace version of the DIY sand and gravel filter (waterfall) and a DIY sediment tank in the ground before the pump. Both were built out of 55 gal plastic drums. I talked to Kent a number of times, he is a super nice guy with plenty of experience, here is a link to the koiphen forum that has a few of his start to finish projects shown:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35291

Scroll down to the kent Wallace section, plenty of info to be had!! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Greg

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 05:15:36 AM »
Oh gosh, now I have a lot more studying to do before I make up my mind.  This gravel in a 55-gallon drum filter is new to me.... will have to read all this carefully.

thanks for all the info and links - and it's about time I joined KoiPhen anyway. 

Hopefully I can go through all this info and make a decision, and the RIGHT decision, so this will be the last expansion and filter I go through.   

(Yeah - suuUURUUrre   ;)   )

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
We have the Savio skimmer and extra brushes, and last year we added a pressurized biofilter and we were very happy with it. It has a backflush on it, so we can wash out the bio media and rinse with pond water. There was alot of crud that would get flushed out of that thing, so it must be doing something!
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"