Author Topic: spring has finally sprung....  (Read 759 times)

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
spring has finally sprung....
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
After only a week of finally getting above freezing  @O@ @O@, I have some of my day lillies starting to come up.  With them showing signs of growth, the weeds can't be far behind.  Last year I had a huge problem with weeds.  I'm not even sure what type they were.  They are vine like with small green leaves that if I don't get to them soon enough they have small white or pink flowers.  They are tough little guys.  I can't seem to pull them fast enough.  I swear that if I pull them they are right back within hours.  Since these are mixed into my flower bed I have been cautious about applying weed killer.  I had enough last year that I am wanting to get to the bottom of this this year before they get out of control again this year.  Is there a safe product that I can use to stop or prevent the growth of unwanted weeds without hurting my plants?  I am open for suggestions.  I would rather not have to redo my flowerbed. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: spring has finally sprung....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »
Some people use weed barriers, a fabric that blocks weeds and you poke a hole through it where you want a plant.  I've never used it.

I pull weeds too.  I find that if I pull them early, well before they set seed, I can reduce my work.  However, if I get lazy and let a few go to seed it seems like those seeds are viable for three or four years.......
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"