Author Topic: Supposed to keep posts clean  (Read 2759 times)

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Supposed to keep posts clean
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
in Chit chat... but what I'm posting is kinda a mess... up on the main pass between eastern and western Washington...I heard stores in the greater Yakima area were worried about super bowl supplies... especially beer  ::)

I drive this pass at least 3x's/month on average for the last 10 years.  I've never seen this kind of snow up there.  I've heard snow accumulations are as much as 200% of normal in some areas..

rocks???

see the uneven snow on the right..that is where one of the avalanches came down across the road.

see the guard rail??

snow off the roof at the travelers rest..completely blocking the windows off the back..

see the street sign??

Motel..2 story... I think..

see the people in the entrance porch?

see the drop of water on the window?  there is a tree just to the right of it...at the base of the tree there is a very dark spot..kinda looks like the very tippy top of a pole??  that's the top of the stop sign...

Avalanche area on the west side of the pss..see the irregular snow again on the right?

The roads weren't too bad some compact snow and ice.. some slushy spots..
Mary

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Supposed to keep posts clean
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:52:18 AM »
Oh no not me. I would not live where there was that much snow. And I am complaining here. Geesh! I need to shut up. LOL

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »
Yes, that is scarey.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
We softies in so cal would not survive.  Great photos!  :-\ Save us some of the water!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »
Wow, thanks for posting these amazing pictures.  I am fascinated with snow.  We don't have much here anymore, nothing like we did when I was a kid.  I would love to see that much snow, but not sure I would want to live there.
I don't understand how the snow plows can get it that high.  Around here we have snow plows with short blades, do you have any pictures of the plows? 
Be careful,
Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
 lol  You sure posted some dirty pictures.  There's even one to use extreme caution when flashing under all that snow! lol

WOW!  From my vantage point I see beautiful snow piled high against some of nature's best land.  The snow depth is amazing as you show in your photos.  This reminded me of last time I saw snow like that was probably 15 years or more ago when we drove from Lake Tahoe to Reno.  We got to follow snow plows and see how they actually form those straight cut tall piles to the side of the roads.

I certainly would be a little worried about the weight of the snow on those buildings  :o  I hope there will be enough beer for your area's Super Bowl game.  ;D  I'd hate to be the pizza delivery guy.  :D  Thanks for sharing your point of view!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
Karen just saw your post.  If I remember correctly the snow plows were probably able to put the usual shovels in front of the trucks at a 90 degree angle to the right side of the truck.  Basically standing the blade straight up and down.  A regular plow would still be necessary to clear the road.  Also with all this snow there may also be a scoop and blow plow (not correct terminology, but it works for me  :D)  Hopefully you can picture this better than I can describe it.  ::)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »
Awesome photos.

Is this the area where a motorist missed being buried alive in an avalanche by thinking quickly and speeding up to outrun the thing?

Never having lived where it snows, I have a fascination with the stuff, but I suppose it would be annoying by March.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Wow!  That's an awful lot of stress on those roofs.  Hopefully the melt will be slow and not cause flooding down below.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »
Awesome photos.

Is this the area where a motorist missed being buried alive in an avalanche by thinking quickly and speeding up to outrun the thing?

Never having lived where it snows, I have a fascination with the stuff, but I suppose it would be annoying by March.

Cheers,

Mike

I dont' know if he sped up or what...but that space was 150' long and you can see how deep.  Another gals car was partially buried in it.

Everyone needs to know this is up on Snoqualmie pass..mountains..NOT where I live though I've had quite a bit of snow at home this year..NOTHING like this!  They had 5' of snow that fell up there last week.

They use a couple of different rigs for snow removal..from your typical road grader to plows with straight blades to big auger/cutter looking that blows it up over the banks. 

Pictures really don't even do justice to what is up there.  I have AWD van so snow doesn't much bother me.
Mary

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
WOW , look at all that snow !  :o
They can keep it too !

bonnie

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 06:41:19 AM »
Awesome Pictures O0

Thanks for posting them.

Setve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
WOW!! That's a lot of snow. We've never had that much here. Looks like it will be around there till spring.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
Nancy I expect to see snow on the hills around that pass til May..or even June in the most highest elevations.  And they are still getting more snow..maybe not quite in the 5'/week range though
Mary

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Just got home from working the Seattle gift show. Buyers from Eastern WA and points beyond could not get through. UPS could not either. New shoes I ordered online were four days late due to closure of that pass.......

:(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »
A couple years ago when we were out that way in May yes there was some snow, not to much though.  Glad my daughter and her family made it through there last week.  They left here Mon.   just in time, today we got 12" and it is still snowing.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »
Really great pix!!!!!! When I came over Stevens Pass on the 5th of Jan. (Stevens is due north of this pass) It was deep! Sorry I didn't think to stop and get pix? But I just wanted to beat the frount moving in. I lucked out both ways inbetween frounts! I don't know the miles between us but She lives south of me here in eastern wash.
Are you guys getting this warm frount? It was alomst 40 today and now there saying 50 by Mon.and rain, wich means flooding :o
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »
we only got to about 40 here, but was 44 down in Yakima.

Supposed to have some warmer temps next week, but not that warm her..at least that is what the weather liars... I mean weatherman said  ::)  They haven't much been right all winter for our weather predictions here..so I will wait to see the warm weather when it gets here
Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
I can't verify it but someone came into work today and said the temp on one of the stores in town said 55* today :o I know I went out and washed some outside windows at work and I had my coat off for about 20 min. when the sun was out! I even went up and sat at the pond for a bit just before the sun went behind the hill and it felt sooooooo good. Only had on  a reg. jacket instead of 4 layers.  @O@ I even saw that my marsh merigold has 3 new leaves comming under the water :o but it is close to where the heater is. @O@ anyway's. I also saw where it was thawed out that a TON of algae has grown >:(- >:(-
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »
All 3 passes were closed today for at least some time because of avalanches (White) or avalanche control (Snoqualmie and Stevens)

White pass is still closed...maybe open tomorrow morning..which is good I need to use it to get to Portland!
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"