Author Topic: Kevin called/ now with picture  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kevin called/ now with picture
« on: February 18, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »
Braeden was scheduled to be released from the hospital around noon. About 11:00 Kevin called and said, "Hi Mom, can I speak to Pete?" I heard the tone of voice and took the phone to Pete and said in a whisper, "It's Kevin and he's in trouble." I didn't dare wonder what was wrong.

Turns out, the soil around their house has a lot of clay and drainage around the basement has been a problem from day one. Two summers ago, Pete cut out a strip of cement about 12" wide around the inside walls of the basement and layed drainage tile and ran it out beyond the house into a deep hole he had dug. That seemed to take care of the problem.

Then yesterday Ian discovered a puddle going across the basement floor about 15' and creeping into his new carpet in his room in the basement. By the way, they have probably 14-16" of snow on the ground and then it began to rain. It rained a lot as it had warmed up outside and of course the snow was melting. Turns out the outside ground water pressure was so strong that it was literally squirting through his basement wall around where the pipe went out to the well and also a little less by some electrical conduit. He tried to patch it with hydrolic cement on the inside but the water was coming in so fast it washed the patch right out. Somebody from church called and Kevin told him what was going on. The guy brought two friends and they all dug down 4 1/2' and removed the soil to below where the water was coming in. Kevin happened to have some tar so he put on a rubber glove and shoved the tar into the cracks and forced it in as much as possible. They then backfilled to hold the tar in place. He then cemented inside too. He still has a tiny bit of seepage by the conduit.

Come spring, Pete will take the digger up and dig out all along the house and slather tar on the foundation and then put up plastic and tar over that. What next?

Two of the wives of the men that came to help went to the hospital and picked up Braeden and Dawn and brought them home.

Kevin said it was so nice to be able to grab Braeden and tickle him or pick him up and not have to worry about the tubes pinned to his shirt. He always would worry that he would dislodge it somehow or hurt Braeden. And now Braeden can bathe in the tub or swim.

Kevin is so amazed to think of all the hurts and suffering that little guy has endured, yet he always comes back with big smiles and teasing everybody. I told him that it was because of his loving family and dedicated mother. He said also it was because of the loving caring people who doctor and nurse him at the Children's hospital. They just do such a wonderful job when you think of the emotional stress they must go through every day.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:01:19 AM by Esther »

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin called yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
Geez Esther, what next?  Seems like anything and everything that can go wrong has!   :(
Maybe once they get it all out of the way things will be smooth sailing for years to come. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: Kevin called yesterday
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
Esther, I'm sorry about the basement thing, but I'm so glad Braeden is home.  :hug:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin called/ now with picture
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:28:24 PM »
So glad to hear that Branden is home, and feeling good.  He looks great!  That family has had so much on their plate.  Hope they get the basement thing fixed.  All that new carpet, and hard work.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
Fortunately  where the water came in was in the area that wasn't remodeled. Also the stuff that was sitting on the floor in the water were things on legs, not boxes of clothes. Not much of the carpet got wet. He shopvacked up as much as he could get out of the carpet and turned the fan on it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
Um, Esther, Kevin's middle name isn't "Job" by any chance is it?   {:-P;;  Good grief...enough already!  Thank God for a loving family, huh?   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
kitty said it well  o(:-) o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »
I am glad to hear that Braden is home but so sad to hear about your sons basement.  I am sending my prayersyour way.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »
So glad that Braden is home ! I'm sorry to hear about the basement .

bonnie

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:15:19 PM »
Look at that adorable baby boy...he has his hair back and he doesn't have that horrible port in his chest anymore.  (Sorry...my MIL had one of those and it just creeped me out.  :( )

I'm sorry about the basement.  Maybe this will be the last of their problems for a while, I hope! :) They've been through an awful lot, and it's about time things got better.  O0 

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
What a tough resilient little man. Nobody ever told him that he was supposed to feel sorry for himself and cry "Why me Lord?"

He just keeps fighting and smiling. He is a really strong little Trooper and i admire his spunk.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:46 AM »
Braeden looks awesome!  That is a shame about their basement, though.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »
At two, he doesn't even realize anything is different about his life than anybody else. He has his momma and family and that's what he wants most. The people at the hospital are such great supportive friends too. You'd think he'd be scared when he has to go to the hospital but no, he's all ready to go when it's time.

Unfortunately, having the port taken out isn't going too well. He is having to have shots instead which he didn't have before and just wasn't quite as brave about it as they hoped. I think they put in an IV for it now.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
They had taken out the Broviac tube from his chest and knew they had to give him medicine several times this week. They were going to send a traveling nurse to come to the house to administer the shots, one in each thigh every day. No sireee Bob!! The little guy just wouldn't stand for it. So they took him back to the hospital and put in an IV that has worked and here is Dawn's update from last night:

The latest from Dawn:

OK, we've almost made it!!!! Braeden's IV has worked great this week, so he hasn't had any more of those awful shots. He got neupogen once, but after the others, that wasn't enough to sniffle at. The IV just has to work tomorrow and then we are done. So far, so good with the accutane, but we made it this far before too so I'm not breathing a sigh of relief quite yet. It is a much smaller dose, so we hope the side effects would be minimal. So far his appetite is fine, and he is sleeping fine (hope I didn't just jinx myself, ha ha!). The site formerly know as the "broviac spot" is healing nicely, and as soon as Bub gets the IV out tomorrow he can take a bath. This should be interesting, he hasn't taken a real bath in almost a year! We'll be sure to take pictures! 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:36:15 AM by Esther »

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
Well, that sound promising so far Esther, thanks for the update!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"