Author Topic: Too Friendly....already!  (Read 2240 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Too Friendly....already!
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
OK we got it warm out this way and the fish have noticed.   o( o( o(

In fact I think they're all doing the bumps and grinds with each other.  Best way to figure out who's a gal or guy  o(  There are a couple fishies that look like they are ready to pop they're so full of eggs and are my regular factories.  I have koi, shubunkins, comets and wakins all having too much fun for their own good.  I put a few tied bunches of parrot feather in the pond for hiding both females and eggs.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Is this happening in your pond yet?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Too Friendly....already!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »
Its still a tad bit to early here...babies are soo much fun...its the mess left behind after spawning I hate  >:(- takes me a week to get the water back in order.....make sure to do lots of water changes after they spawn...Not all at once but, I usually do about 25% every day or every other day for 5 days....just depending on the amount of foam and mess left behind...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:23:08 PM »
Thanks Lawanna.  I normally don't realize babies in the progress until I see iddy biddy little things swimming around.  This time I have seen the foaming.  Yikes!  Better get to work!

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
Annette, the ice just thawed on the ponds alittle over the week ago then we got the snow storm...... so no bumping and grinding going on in my ponds YET.
The first that will happen will be from the frogs and toads!

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
Mine are begging for food. They are following me everywhere.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
Still plenty of ice and snow here so have no idea what's going on in the pond. Besides I think I have all males or all females. The only things that ever mated were the goldfish or the fantails. But they are all gone and the Koi do nothing in the way of bumping and grinding. Maybe they don't like their home and don't want to raise children there.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
Those are beautiful fish Justme.  I love the long fins flowing along the fish.

For everyone else; Hurry up already and get into Spring!!   @O@

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
I'm with you on that one, Annette.  It's more fun when everyone is involved.  I'm seeing some odd foaming going on.  I thought it was due to the water quality.  I hope I have some little ones on the way. 
Alfonso

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »
I'm with you on that one, Annette.  It's more fun when everyone is involved.  I'm seeing some odd foaming going on.  I thought it was due to the water quality.  I hope I have some little ones on the way. 
I am seeing alittle foam too....but, just a little...time to start the water changes full force again....I just did one today and put Fred back into the pond with his girls....They all sure looked happy to be together again....
Lawanna

Offline justme

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »
I had a talk with my fish today and I told them they all need to not do any of that sex stuff this year. I told them if they promised to be good I would feed them some treats and plant sweet potato vines close enough for them to eat all they want. Now I got to talk to the frogs and goldfish. The darn frogs have already started. {nono} {nono} {nono} {nono}

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
I had a talk with my fish today and I told them they all need to not do any of that sex stuff this year. I told them if they promised to be good I would feed them some treats and plant sweet potato vines close enough for them to eat all they want. Now I got to talk to the frogs and goldfish. The darn frogs have already started. {nono} {nono} {nono} {nono}
LOL....let me know how well that works for ya   lol lol
Lawanna

Offline justme

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »
Well I did pull a bag of Catfish filets out of the freezer and told them thats what they would look like if they did not listen. {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;;

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »
Funny Justme!  lol

Well it looks like I will be doing some partial water change!  :D  Went outside for a break this afternoon and lo and behold....foam city and my once very fat goldie, Preggie, is now a whole lot thinner!  The foam mixed in with some floating algae  :o what a delight.  Green gook!  >:(-

Your advice Lawanna came none too soon!  O0

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »
my native fish are just starting with feeding at the top and such so I am sure new ones will be in the mix soon
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »
 o( Last evening I really had to do more water change....More eggs!!  But all the fishies were have a feast eating as much of the tiny morsels as they could on the surface and in the parrot's feathers.  I tell ya, my 5 gal buckets feel heavier every year!  :o

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
Ann why 5 gallon buckets....I take a small pump around 300-500 gph...with a long piece of tubing...use the water from the pond on your garden plants.....sooo much easier that way....not to mention that water does the plants good....
Lawana

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
That's sort-a how I water my land plants too. We use a sump pump dropped into pond. Hook garden hose to it and water by hand or with sprinkler.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
Oh and pull the water from the bottom...thats where all the yuck and muck collects....
Lawanna

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
That's what I do Lawanna.  It's the new water refill that breaks the back.  But I suppose I could do the reverse thing too....nahh!  Takes too long!  :D

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »
Oh you poor girl....that sound like too much work...you must love your fish...
Lawanna

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
Plus I have a bottom drain that isn't located right at the bottom (talk to the contractor who built my pond a long time ago), therefore more manual sucking off the bottom!

What makes matters worse is my DD is scooping up the eggs to "protect" them!  :D  :o  They're now in with my lilies....don't know how that's going to happen.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »
Wow, I'm kinda surprised they've spawned so soon... but I look at your locations, and I guess it's warm enough on the west coast for the fish to spawn.  Mine are fat and full of eggs, but no mating yet.  Hopefully they'll hold off... I am draining and enlarging the pond on Thursday, so I'd rather have it all happen in the new pond.  But not if I have to change the water again!!

Out of a bunch of koi, it appears I have only two females.  I've watched them spawn before ,and had a spawning mat in there, but never saved any eggs.  The entire population of the pond swims behind the spawning couple, gobbling eggs as fast as they're laid. 

I would like to have some babies, but then again, I'm one who can't cul anybody out, so I guess having the fish eat the eggs is a good thing.  Besides, my ex boyfriend down the street has, for the first time, gotten babies, about a year old now, and he's trying to pawn some off on me.   {:-P;;

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 08:11:37 AM »
That's funny Julles.  Good luck with your bigger pond-to-be.  Do we get before and after photos? 
When guests visit and ask what I feed the fish I'll just say "my babies are accustomed to eating caviar, dawling."   ;D

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
To cold for spawning here.   Last year the koi spawned first time and did not even know it till I saw a baby that was colored wayyyyyyy different from a goldie.  Also found one in the lily pond, must have gotten there by way of the overflow from the main pond, however the heron got that one.  Maybe this year the spawn will bring more teltale signs it occured, before I spot babies.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"