Author Topic: Pond plants...  (Read 1733 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond plants...
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
In the past couple years, the local Lowes/Home Depot stores only carried a few water plants, most of them being lilies and a couple grass plants.  I was in a Lowes today and they have at least a dozen different types of pond/submerged/bog plants, including hornwart and variegated water celery and a few others.  It's nice to see that, especially in my area where there are very few (if any) pond places.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond plants...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »
I did notice last year that lowes had a decent selection of marginals....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »
I haven't been in our Lowes and HD but its a bit early here for them to have the water plants in.
Although Walmart has them in which is earlier than usual.
I bought several of the marginals from HD last year. Corkscrew rush, var. water celery and one other that I can't remember. They were half dead and marked down and they struggled all summer.
Over the weekend when I was checking on my stock tanks I saw that they were all greening up and had multiplied over the winter months.
I figured they had probable died.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
Last year was the first year my lowes had a huge selection and it was impressive... nice big healthy looking plants.. probably 3 times the size of most years.. I sure hope they do it again this year like that!

tinkster

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »
The closest Lowes to me right now is about a 30min drive and at the price of gas not worth going, unless I'm going to my daughters it is close.  However I just heard a week ago that they will be building one about 8miles away, can't wait.  Do most of my plant shoping at HD, and the 2 close aquatic nurseries.  No one has plants yet here.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
There are a couple Lowes reasonably near me but they have horrible garden departments. I've seen many posts on Garden Web about great deals on new plants such as the Raymond Evison Patio Clematis at Lowe's but when I run out there they don't have them. Ever. They did have pond plants last year but they were tiny in boxes.

I am very lucky to live so close to Hughes Water Gardens who grows wholesale and retail. Now, if only I did not keep killing miniature cattails.......
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:27 AM »
Last week I made it into Wal Mart and I got a Sioux, White iris, and a white calla Lilly. You know the big box ones in the little tubs. Everything is comming up real good tho? I also had to get some Primroses for color. I didn't get over to HD but I'm sure this early they wouldn't have any thing yet.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tootsie

• Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »
The stores in my area are not stocked with any pond plants. The nursery had some last year, but the prices were $60.00 for some pretty ratty looking pond lilies and bog plants! My pond went all but dry last summer! When summer ended I had less that 1/4 of it left, and the water was about 6 ft. deep, maybe. This winter we have had lots of snow and showers are comming soon @O@
The pond is still frozen and I have had to cut holes in the ice for the fish. I plan on netting the hundreds of bullheads out {:-P;; I ended up taking all pond plants and putting them in the huge plastic containers and shelving them in the crawl space beneath the house. I am crossing my fingers and toes when I go down there they will all be alive??

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
Tootsie, sounds like you have a natural mud bottom pond? tell me about it? Can you post pix?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »
I wonder if the big box stores' carrying pond supplies means there is a trend among buyers to have more ponds.  That would be great, if more and more people are catching on to the hobby. 

If not, those stores who invest in something that won't be sold are taking a gamble.  Also, if they carry crummy stock, and people get stung or disappointed by a purchase, they won't go back, and will continue to patronize the pond specialty stores.

I do wonder about the number of people into ponding.  Here in Houston, the pond tour is fabulously successful, with lots and lots of people attending.  But the Houston Pond Society has realtively few paid members.  Does that show a lack of interest?  Interest, but a lack of time to be involved?  Is the $50 membership fee too high?  Or do people with ponds not feel a need to belong to any club or society?

Just musing here.

Either way, even though I'd be glad to buy plants and etc. at HD or Lowe's, I have more trust in the quality of what I get from the pond store - even though it IS a 30 mile drive away, and higher prices, etc - but I like the idea of supporting a mom & pop specialty store.  And it's a particularly well done store, too.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »
Sadly Julles I have to agree with you. :'( But I do know even here where we are so remote good pond supply stores are unheard of! $80.00 for and avarage joe blow no name lilly at the 2 local nurseries! :o It seems there are a TON of ponds around as the pond tour gets larger every year but because of the large distant between it takes 2 days to do. This year I want to work it out at work to have that week end off to do it. It always seems to fall on one of my WE's to work >:(-I have gotten a lot of my plants from Forum trades and Lawanna, and all my supplies on line. TG for Drs. Foster and smith as they have the best deals I can find and will refund what ya don't want. I even get special online deals from them for being a good custamer. @O@
My first choise would be a good supplier but we just don't have them with in 125 mile radious.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
Luckily the garden depts at our local Lowes stores are pretty nice.  I was so glad when we got one local (10 min max. away from me) because the closest before this one was over half an hour drive.

The people are very helpful and they hired a local guy who used to work at one of the greenhouses and he is very good at what he does.. knows his stuff when it comes to plants!

Ours had a decent selection of marginals last year too, hope this year is even better.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
our Lowe's had a nice slection of pond plant's last year too . The local g'house's sell their lilies's
qt $35 each . I've talked to several people who bought these lilies & never taken them out of the packing they came in , just dropped them into the pond. Most of the lilies died , they didn't know they were supose to repot them .
I think these place's do that on purpose so people will come back & buy more.

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
I've learned to shop with blinders on and have a list when I go to HD or Lowes.  Any other way and I go home with more than I need  :D  Yeah I've looked and seen some very nice pond plants and garden plants....must...try...to...resist....doesn't always work  :P

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »
Ponding is the fastest growing segment of gardening and has been for several years.

Gardening is the most popular hobby in the US.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"