Author Topic: Pumping Water Uphill - Question  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pumping Water Uphill - Question
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »
From reading on here, it sounds as though some of you loose water pressure when pumping uphill - like up to a waterfall.  I'm curious about that...

I will not be pumping up to a waterfall - just up from the bottom of the pond and to a filter sitting on the side, for a total of about 4' or so, with a 900gph pump.

Will this cause any significant reduction in the efficacy of the filter, if water is not flowing through it as fast as it could?  Or is 4' not a big deal?

Also, what about the speed of water coming out of the filter?  It's pressurized, so I am running the tubing so it will tumble down some rocks and aerate the pond.  Can I expect to still have 900gph after the water's been pumped up into the filter, and then out again, down my falls?

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping Water Uphill - Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:27:56 AM »
Usually a chart on the box the pump came in to show how lift affects volume. 4 ft is not much, but will slow the pump down some. If the filter requires the full capacity of the pump, you will need a pump that pumps that capacity at the lift the filter is at. Turns in the pipe and diameter also affect the pump head.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:31:53 AM »
What you are asking about is called head pressure of the pump.  Head pressure is measured from pond level to the top of where you want to pump it to.  So more than likely your height from the pond level to the top of the falls isn't all that much then and won't be all that significant.

Most filters will cause head pressure loss as well.  It should tell you somewhere in the specifications of the filter what the loss will be.  How much then comes out on the other side is dependent on the pump.  Most pump manufacturers should have head pressure charts available to show how many gph at what head pressure. 

To get an idea of head pressure if you had a pipe with a cap on the end stood on end and you put one gallon of water in there it would put a certain amount of pressure on that end cap..the more water, the heavier and the more pressure.  A pump has to push against that kind of pressure to put it up through a pipe.  Maybe not an entirely accurate picture, but hopefully gives you the general idea.
Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
It's way to confuessing to me so I asked the pros at IPPCA. You ask they help!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
IPPCA??   ?)(?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »
International Professional Pond Contractors Association
There are a lot of great and knowlagable people in the Asso. and forum. Got to
IPPCA.com and register then ask questions.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
I dont think you would lose much pressure going up that short distance.  You could always raise the pump off the bottom of the pond to and that way you wouldnd have to worry about an accident where it would pump all the water out of your pond.  One of my pumps is pumping straight up probably 20 ft  or so and theres not a lot of difference you can tell by eye, but mine are waterfall pumps that had high heads.. not sure what kind of pump you have.    Think to it has to do with the size of tubing you use and the friction that causes.  I got more flow out of mine when I changed from the 1" to 2".  I  have one of my pumps split from a 2" to two 1 1/2" outlets  that feeds into the head of two different drops for more dramatic falls.

would love to see what you finally end up with!

tinkster

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:04 AM »
Julles,

frloplady  has it right.  The depth of your pond is immaterial.  The pertinent measurement is from the pond level to the top of your waterfall.  Suppose you have a 10 foot deep pond with a bottom drain, and your waterfall is 2 feet above pond level. The dynamic head is 2 feet.

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"