Author Topic: Got the bright idea to make a small one by my pond  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Got the bright idea to make a small one by my pond
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »
I got a cement mixing pan & mixed some of my clay soil, peat, sphagnum & sand in it. Put it in the ground near the pond.

I'm wanting to put CP in it. I got one of each of what Lowe's had, got home & realized a couple aren't what I was hoping they were.
The pitcher plant is a nep not a sarr ... sounds like the butterwort won't work either .... not sure about the sundew but hey the VFT should work.

I hope.

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Got the bright idea to make a small one by my pond
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »
I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot for them all, no matter what they are...and will get lots of enjoyment!  Just means you get to go shopping again!!   ;)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:42:47 AM »
Nepenthes are tropical and will not survive your Oklahoma winters. Butterwort is also tropical and will not survive outside in the winter. You can make mini bogs for them and bring them indoors for the winter which is the only way you will be able to keep them year round. They will enjoy your summers but you will be well advised to adapt them to the outdoors slowly and keep them in dappled sun. Slowly adapt them to the indoors in the fall as well.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »
There are several hardy Butterworts (Pinguicula), Sundews (Drosera), Bladderworts  (Utricularia). And Pitchers Plants (Sarracenia). That grow naturally in North America.

I am planning on spending a lot of my summer looking for new native specimens. I have already located a Bladderwort growing wild in a bog area near my home in Northwestern Montana.  @O@

I would like to recommend the book "Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada," by Donald E. Schnell. I bought my copy from Amazon.com. You can purchase unexpensive used books there.

Sean is right about the Nepenthus, they are not even native to North America. But there are many carnivorous plants that are hardy clear up to Alaska.

Most carnivorus plants require peat and a non alkaline sand, Just to be safe I use perlite instead of sand. Some sarracenias in the north do grow in clay though.

I have seen those large cement mixing trays at Lowes. I'm sure I will wind up with one sooner or later too.  :) 

Happy growing,
Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"