Author Topic: Just found an interesting website for DIYers  (Read 994 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just found an interesting website for DIYers
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
www.instructables.com  It is loaded with all kinds of things that people make from scratch with pictorials to help with the explanation.

So decided to try making and instructable when I made the Easter nests for the family this year. Just got an email from somebody there saying it is being featured right now. I suppose because it is good for the season.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Edible-Easter-Nests/?commentflag=1206138630257#CDC9S2AFE0XGX14

Pete and I just made some bird feeders from PVC and hardware cloth. I think I'm going to make another one of each type so I can do an instructable on each. Notice the furry visitor on top. The picture is fuzzy because I took it through a window. 
The feeder on the left has corn, sunflower seeds and raw peanuts. The one in the center holds a home made suet block and the one on the right has finch feed, thistle and some other small seeds. Pete made the hangman's post this week and I love it. The feeders overhang the grass so there isn't the usual mess on the deck.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just found an interesting website for DIYers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
Thanks, there is alot of stuff on that site.  I briefly looked at it, will have to go back to it when I have more time.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »
Thanks Esther!
The pretzel nests are adorable!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
It takes 1 pound of melting chocolate or chocolate chips mellted slowly on low heat and stirring frequently, a 12 ounce bag of chow mein noodles stirred well into the chocolate until thoroughly coated with chocolate. Turn burner down to "keep warm" and stir the twigs in the pan from time to time.  Put spoonsfull of the twigs on waxed paper.  Press center twigs apart a bit to make a hollow. Put the eggs on the nest while the chocolate is still soft. Press stray twigs back into the nest to make a more rounded nest.

Optional: purchase bird shaped Peeps. Put a little melted chocolate on the bottom of the Peeps and lay it on top of the eggs. Let cool and Makes about 18 3" nests.  Put your birdy and nest in a sandwich bag and seal to keep fresh. With the Peeps, it costs about .50 an nest or .37 each without the Peeps.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"