Author Topic: New fan of CPs! Bartering!  (Read 3305 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New fan of CPs! Bartering!
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:37 PM »
  DH and I were doing our usual flea marketing stuff on the weekend, and pulled into a new nursery that had fruit trees on sale. DH noticed the guy needed some decent signage, so bartered about $850.00 worth of signs (DH is a woodcarver) for plants/landscaping. After measuring the sign stands, we pulled into a little used store around the corner and DH found a kid's book about carnivorous plants!
  California Carnivores is right next to the nursery we were working with and the owner gave us $35 worth of CPs for a .25 book!
  We also noticed that the guy had signs painted by our neighbor, and some odd carved animal that DH had carved for the county fair! (neighbor is director of the flower show and DH carves alot of stuff for him)
  Not a bad barter, and I have a new hobby!
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: New fan of CPs! Bartering!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:18:51 AM »
Congrats! that is a very sweet deal.
I'd love to spend a day at California Carnivores, they have so many plants I'd love to introduce to my collection.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:41:27 AM »
Lucky you!  Where are you going to put your new plants?  Can they go outdoors or do you need to create an indoor space for them?  I'm on the lookout for hardy pitcher plants myself and I certainly haven't seen anything even resembling a deal yet.  Was hoping to have something in the ground by now.  :(  Well done Nancy and DH!  O0 emm

Offline milliemax

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »
  Well, according to the flyer the guy gave me, the Venus flytraps, Sundews and Pitcher plant do fine in my zone (USDA 8ish)
  They kinda die back during the winter, but can handle some frost.
  I have to figure out the fertilizing though
  NT
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
Are you going to share pix of the CPs you got? {:-P;;

Offline milliemax

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
  Well, after losing my last camera for several months, we finally bought a new one and we're trying to figure out how to work it , let alone learning how to post pictures!
  When I was on AOL I could figure it out fairly easily. 2 cameras,2 computers and 2 different servers later, I'm baffled!
  There's alot of new growth, but I still have to decide where I want them to live for good.  Nancy
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:23:05 AM »
  Well, according to the flyer the guy gave me, the Venus flytraps, Sundews and Pitcher plant do fine in my zone (USDA 8ish)
  They kinda die back during the winter, but can handle some frost.
  I have to figure out the fertilizing though
  NT

If you still haven't figured out how to fertilize them, it is actually pretty easy-DON'T!!!  Fertilizing is a great way to kill them; they are adapted to nutrient poor soils and that is why they eat bugs-to get nutrients!  The salts in fertilizers will actually burn the roots, so save the ferts for the lawn and roses, leave these alone.  Good luck, they are fascinating plants!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"