Author Topic: Birthday party activities?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Birthday party activities?
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
Evan turned 4 last Sunday, and we're having a little party at our house this Sunday with a few friends from pre-school and the neighborhood. I've got it planned from 3-4:30 p.m. The weather has been pretty wild for the past week or two (hail, thunderstorms, heater back on, AC back on, etc....in fact, our power was out from 4 a.m. today until about 30 minutes ago from thunderstorms.  :o) Anyway, I'm thinking we can be outside. Any ideas for games/activities? He has chosen a Curious George theme, and I plan to make an awesome cake (of course). Maybe I could somehow craft a Curious George version of pin the tail on the donkey. At least I have until Sunday to get it figured out. This is the first party hosted at home. Dylan's have always been out at special places (great wolf lodge two weeks ago, mini golf/laser tag place last year, and bowling the year before).

Thanks in advance for ideas!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday party activities?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »
Boy Jessica, your kids are really lucky. My kids were lucky to have a party and it was mostly just at home with the kids playing same ole/same ole games and then food. Mostly my kid's parties were just family with no activities but FOOD and presents. Things are different nowadays.

Once though, I borrowed a doughnut baker and we made doughnuts and the kids decorated them and we ate them for breakfast after the sleepover. Another time we tiedied t-shirts but the kids were a bit older than Evan. I had all boys too.

I would think you could find a picture of George turned sideways so his butt was exposed and then blow it up at a copy place. Then copy his tail separate and cut it out. Does each kid have his own tail? You could put names on them so George ends up with a bunch of tails. Kids that age would think it was funny/silly to see George with lots of tails.

There are crayons out there that will mark on fabric and then I think you make their markings permanent with a hot iron. They could decorate t-shirts. I'm sure Hobby Lobby or Michaels would have them. Of course they get to take the shirt home. Maybe Evan's friends are too young for that type of thing.

Put the picture of George up somewhere and suspend a hula hoop in front of him. Have them throw a ball through the hoop. Maybe make the hoop smaller so it's not so easy. That could be done outside under a tree maybe.

Just for fun, have them take turns acting like monkeys.  George is a monkey, isn't he? It's been a long time. LOL. 

What do monkeys like to eat? Could your menu be centered around banannas maybe? Are they too young to dip pieces of bananna in chocolate and then rolled in peanut pieces. Frosting melted in the microwave would work. But it would have to be kept warm. Do you have a fondue pot, small crock pot,  or anything electric that could be set at a low temp? Or just make them up before hand and refrigerate them. Cherry or strawberry jello with banannas for a salady type thing. Hey, isn't there a pineapple jello? Bananna bread with peanuts in it. There is a wedding punch that has banannas in it that's awfully good. I would think a yellow punch and if it is a punch bowl, float some pieces of bananna in it.

There could be an ongoing learning session about monkeys and what they like to do and eat etc.

http://www.birthdaysupplydepot.com/curious_george/party_ideas/

This one is even better---lots of suggestions:  http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/curious.html

Here's the wedding punch I mentioned. I've had it several times at the wedding receptions of relatives. They just made it up ahead of time and froze it.  But I think you could use your own similar mixture with koolaid and juices with the banannas.
Banana Pineapple Punch

Boil 5 cups sugar in 6 cups water
Add juice of 6 lemons
1 quart  orange juice
 2 cups pineapple juice
6 mashed bananas
Mix well, then freeze in small bags. Take out shortly before adding 2 quarts 7-Up in punch bowl.  Makes a delicious and unusual punch.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:58:10 AM by Esther »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
If it's a monkey theme, then you gotta do something with bananas.
Maybe let them make 'a monkeys favorite dessert'...Banana Splits! :)

One of Jamie's favorite parties is when I let her and her friends make their own sundaes.
Had several different kinds of icecream, all the toppings, whipped cream, syrups, etc, etc. in the center of the table,
and each girl had their own bowl...it was a complete mess afterwards, but easy to clean up because of the plastic tablecloth and wood floors.

Don't forget the classic ball game: 'Monkey In The Middle'. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
WOW...Esther and Joyce both came up with good ideas. The only thing I can think of is to make the monkey imitation a contest.  Give a prize to the the one who can come up with the best monkey imitation.  That should be a blast with four-year-olds.  lol (Maybe a little hard to judge, tho.  ;) )

I love the food ideas!   ;D

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
Wow, thanks for all of the ideas! In the recent Curious George movie, George gets loose in an apartment and paints the walls with jungle scenes. I was thinking about doing tie-dye as a similar activity (since I don't want anyone painting my walls!) Banana splits are doable, and what is the game Monkey in the middle? Bean bag toss is doable too. We can definitely get them to imitate monkeys too, that will be priceless.

Thanks again for the ideas, and I'll let you know how it went tomorrow night!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:58:10 AM »
mon·key in the mid·dle

noun 

Definition:

children's game: a game played by children in which several people throw a ball to each other and a third person stands in the middle and tries to intercept it.

We used to call it, "Keep away."  I can just see 4 year olds trying to catch a ball and keep it away from Curious George (IT). Could you make a monkey mask for the "it" person?

I googled "Make Monkey mask" and stumbled across this page.  http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/jungle-monkeys.html
 Whoo hoo, look at this mask. Print it out on cardstock or apply it to a paper plate.   http://www.freekidcrafts.com/monkeymaskc.html  Here's another:  http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/global/printables/crafts/monkey_mask_july19.pdf    http://www.bookstart.co.uk/Monkeymask_bk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:39:45 AM by Esther »

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »
I already have curious george masks from the party store...this will be perfect!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"