Author Topic: Houston Water Gardens and shops  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Houston Water Gardens and shops
« on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »
Hi All,

I'm heading to Houston for a mock exam this weekend. (Stressful!!!  :blowup:) I'll be done by about noon on Saturday and DH and I are hanging around until Sunday. I remember that Nelson Water Gardens is in Katy. There's another one that doesn't come to mind at the moment. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for must see watergarden related places in Houston? I'll be staying at MD Anderson, but could certainly stop in the burbs on my way back to Dallas. Also, any good restaurant suggestions and other things to do are appreciated, too!

Thanks in advance!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Water Gardens and shops
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »
Jessica, I recommend The Garden Gate in Rice Village.  It's not far from the medical center and I guarantee it will take any stresses of your visit away.   :)

5112 Morningside Dr.
Houston, TX  77005
Jim

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »
I was just at the Garden Gate yesterday; it's GORGEOUS.  And huge, so be sure to wander all around the grounds, and into the back house with the canaries and finches.  A lot of pots and statuary, a tiny tiny bit of water garden stuff.

You DEFINATELY need to get to Nelson's.  I was there last weekend, for their annual Garden Party, and it's, well, it's one of a kind.  LOTS of water features to see, fish, garden plants, pots, doo-dads, mechanicals, and know-how. 

BUT.... WATCH OUT FOR THE KATY FREEWAY (I-10)!  Construction has made travel HORRIBLE.  Not to mention high useage by commuters.  It's normally a 20-30 minute drive for me, and, taking detours to avoid construction and highway closures, and because we ran into other construction delays, it took TWO HOURS.  We werent' the only people that happened to - we heard the story over and over.

If you can go on a weekday, not around rush hour, you will be much better off.  Nelson's is open 9:am - 6:pm weekdays.

The other place you may be thinking of is Lynn's Water Gardens, which is south east of town.  I have n't been there, and am not good at navigating that part of town.  I've heard it's OK but not great, as the guy (Lynn is a man) is just starting up, and doensn't have the grounds and installations of Nelson's.  They do have nice ads, though, so I'm guessing they're coming along on their developments.

Lilipons is gone.  There is a small place up in Cypress somewhere, NW of town.  Old and messy, but interesting.  Also, Mirror Lake Design, up I-45 off Louetta is kinda nice.  No ponds, but nice grounds.  That would be on your way back to Dallas.

Eats:  I go for funky and full, rather than trendy.  You MUST try Barnaby's, the Fairview location, in the Montrose area.  They have 2 other locations within bicycling distance, but Fairview is the original and the best.  Also, Star Pizza, either location, is wonderful - always voted the best pizza in town each year.  Their Garden Salad is huge, and chock-full of all sorts of veggies.  The Hobbit is another fun place, sort of a hole in the wall, and for a bit more refined, Baba Yega's is well known.  A nicer place that has excellent service and innovate food, without being too expensive is the Backstreet Cafe.  Another neighborhood hangout is the Daily Review.  All these places are in the funky and hotly growing Montrose neighborhood.  Really, you can't go wrong eating anywhere in the Montrose area.  It's a stone's throw from the Museum District.  You should be able to find menus, reviews, etc. on line. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
There's a garden shop in the Heights that I'm fond of. Buchanan’s Native Plants, 611 E. 11th St, 713.861.5702
www.buchanansplants.com
Its genuinely mahvelous...  @O@ And the Heights is a historic district with some homes worth oogling.  8-)~

There's a cafe not too far from there... the Berryhill Baja Grill. But, beware, there are absolutely scrumptious eats in Houston, but its always pricey.

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
Buchanan's is on 11th Street.  And a few blocks further west on 11th is Another Place in Time, another small, family-owned plant place. 

Go up to 19th for fine fun shopping for antiques and funky stuff.  Further west on 19th, near Shepherd, is Joshua's (it might be on 18th), another mom-and-pop (except it's just one guy) nursery, with lots of space and lots to see, including antiques. 

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »
If you're going to the Heights you might want to check out DeCapo's for lunch.  It's at the corner of 11th and Studemont.

I also recommend Buchanan's, Another Place In Time and Joshua's.  You'll come away with something special for sure.

Julles, you and I frequent the same spots...  :)
Jim

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all of the great info!!! Lilypons is the other one I thought was down there. When I looked it up online before making this post, I saw it was located in another state and thought I was losing it. Whew, not losing it afterall....yet. One of my coworkers mentioned the medical history museum next to the conservatory, anyone been there?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
I'e never been there, but think it's pretty small.  But it could be great - you know, like a "sleeper" museum that no one ever goes to.  But you might want to check hours and days, as some of those little places aren't open regularly.

The funeral museum up north (again, on your way back home!) is large, has lots of vehicles and other artifacts with good signage to educate you, and definately worth the trip.  Allow at least 2 hours, if you're like me and like to read everything.  It takes a while to get there.

Be sure to holler back when your trip is over, and let us know where you went and what you did, and how you liked it all.

Offline Liane

• Members
  • With us since: 15/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
The little place on the north side of Houston (actually in Spring) is Lowe's Water Gardens.  It's located on Stuebner-Airline, just north of Louetta Road.  It's a bit of a hole in the wall place, but their fish are always healthy and they have a little bit of everything.  I find myself looking at the setup going "you know if they just cleaned up this and did that, and, and, and" they could have a very nice business. 

Nelsons is the premier water garden place in Houston.  Every time I go there I do serious damage to my pocket book so, I don't go often at all.  That and it's at least an hour away (without the horrors of I-10 traffic)

Up in Tomball is a place called The Arbor Gate.  Fantastic nursery, no water plants, but a great selection of unusual and native species.  It's on 2920 west of Tomball by about 2 miles.

You almost can't go wrong w/ restaurants in Houston.  There are some amazing ones.  Americas in the Galleria - very pricey, but the food and atmosphere is great.  Churrasco's is owned by the same family. Very similar menu, but much, much less expensive.  Fogo de Chao is an eating experience not to be believed, but boy you'd better like meat :-)

Enjoy your weekend
Liane

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
Hi all,

The exam was this morning and then DH and I hit a Thai place, starbucks (for a city mug for the collection) and then Nelson's, which was fabulous! after saying "I like this and that" several times, DH finally said it goes without saying that I like everything and to let him know when I found something I didn't like! Got a dark red glazed pot and some ceramic mushrooms. We will try to hit Buchanan's on our way home tomorrow. Went to the Angelika, hard rock, and rice village tonight. Houston sure reminds me of like Tampa. I wouldn't mind living here someday!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"