Author Topic: Salt Water GONE, Pond Doing Great After One Week  (Read 837 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Salt Water GONE, Pond Doing Great After One Week
« on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:45 AM »

One week ago, Monday, I completely drained my (one month old) new pond, and refilled it, with OUT adding salt, this time. 

Even though our local pond store recommends 1lb salt per 100 gallons, my theory - after reading the recent "Salt" thread and following links to learn more - my theory is that that salt is what was killing my plants and preventing my bog filter from working as it should.

It's only been one week, and that's not enough for a true test.  But already I can say that all the water lettuce and hyacinth I've put in, which previously would have started dieing within a few days, it's all healthy and doing great, the snowflake and hawthorne are growing, and it looks as though plants in the bog are going to thrive, too... iris is already sending out new shoots.

If it's true that salt is what was killing my plants, I'm pretty angry that the "pros" recommend using it.... Salt MAY have beneficial effects on fish, but the pond store people should inquire about whether or not you have plants, too.  I've suffered major problems and disappointments with the pond over the last year, and eliminating the salt a long time ago would have solved all that. 

Oh well, by now it's water over the damn.  If removing the salt will save my plants, from now on, I'll be a happy ponder.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Water GONE, Pond Doing Great After One Week
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:33 AM »
Welcome to the salt-free diet!  ;D  O0

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »
Julles we have a local petstore that recommends the same thing...It drives me nuts....I'm not sure why they recommend it other than just putting more money in their pockets because they sell a jar of pond salt to anyone who will listen....they also are the same petstore who tells people they can have 10 fish including koi in a 100 gallon system  >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(-......Salt is a good thing when used in a hospital tank with a stressed fish...but, can also be deadly to the fish when mixed with certain medications......
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
Same thing with our pet store.  I ran into a high school friend there and she wanted some goldfish to put in a very small pond...about 300 gallons.  She pointed to the tank containing koi and asked them,"Will these do ok?"  And the pet shop employee said, "Oh yes.  Those are pond fish."   :o  I chimed in at that point and she bought some goldies instead.  I was shocked though.  They would have happily sold her 6 koi for 300 gallons.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
For one thing, the fish we have in our ponds are not salt water fish + neither do the plants we have typically/naturally  grow in a salt/ocean environment.

I think I said it on another thread that when I was new, I added salt to my little starter pond and everything green died. I thought it was great to not have to deal with algae but was sad to see all the lettuce and hyacinths die.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
Among "real" koi enthusiasts, there has for many years and likely will be for many more years disagreement over the use of salt.   Both sides have really good arguments so settling the issue may be impossible.  As far as plants are concerned, some are more salt resistant than others, but "real" koi enthusiasts generally don't have plants in their koi ponds.  I don't use salt in my ponds and I do have plants.  I do periodically add bicarbonate of soda, but that's a story for another time.  For those wanting more info on the subject, I direct you to my "Salt" page at http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/web15.html and directly to Norm Mecks salt info at http://www.akca.org/library/salt3.htm

I have no criticism of anyone who opts to use salt, or anyone who does not.  Used correctly, there might be benefits to your fish (but not to your plants), but careful monitoring is necessary.  Interestingly, you can accurately measure the volume of your pool with a salt measuring kit and the addition of salt.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"