Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Flooding
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:55 AM »
Here is a video shot from a surveillance plane. No audio though. This is what is currently hitting us. Several bridges are dangerously close to going out, and they are predicting that if the water doesn't drop today there is going to be at least one dam go! At the beginning you can see the Hartland Longest Covered Bridge In The World which was built in the 18oo's (not sure exactly). As of this morning it has about a foot of clearance under it to the water. I live about a 2 minute walk from it.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/background/flood2008/media/flood2008-arial.asx

:(

Derrick

Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »
that is so scary! Hope the worst doesn't happen.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »
The power of water is astounding.  I listen to the news reports on the radio and people are so philosophical in the face of what could be a disaster for some of them.  I hope that everyone stays safe.  I feel for the people whose homes, businesses and farms are threatened by the flooding.  I've been across the Hartland Bridge a few times, I'm not sure just why but it's always exciting to cross on the covered bridge.  Is your home in danger Derrick?  Take care.  emm

Offline Derrick

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
My home is safe enough (on a high hill)...not sure if I going to be able to get home though! They are closing roads everywhere. Up river the water is going OVER the top of the dam, so the level just keeps rising. Might be a real pain getting home, but that is a lot better than many people right now.  :-\

Derrick

Offline Derrick

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »
Just heard on the news that there is a house coming down the river! It is headed for a dam that already is weakened and has water pouring over the top of it. If it hits that dam hard and does any damage it could be very bad. :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about the river flooding.  I actually heard it from Good Morning America today that the Saint John River was flooded with the snow melt at a very high level and where it dumps into the Bay of Fundy in Maine there are a few towns under water. 

So sad to see Mother Nature at her worst.  Hope you are safe and dry.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"