Author Topic: Can someone figure out this memory thing for me?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Can someone figure out this memory thing for me?
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »
I'm looking at buying a computer from one of the guys at work.  It is older, but still much better than mine.  I know it has an Intel motherboard model SE440BX-2 and I know it has a Pentium III 600 mhz.

I'd like to know what exactly I'd need to know to increase the memory from 64mb to at least 128 and maybe 256.  I'd like to find out the actual part numbers or models or whatever for the memory and a place to order it or at least know that the right type is still available so I could price it out.

Also, I'd like to know what the maxium speed of processor I could stick into it.

Is it within the realm of possibility to put a DVD burner into it?

If anyone is more computer savy than me on this and can sort this out I would appreciate it.

Also, this is a W98 O/S which I am fine with, but what would I need to go to Windows XP?  Is it even possible with this speed of machine without dragging it down to the ground in performance?  I'm fine with W95, but XP would probably allow me to do a bit more.

Thanks.

Bart

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Can someone figure out this memory thing for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »
Bart,
Go here for all the info that you need...
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/

You can go up to an 850 Mhz. The Ram you need is also there with links to  Ram manufacturers showing what kind to get. Once you decide on  products to buy, check out
http://www.newegg.com/index.asp?DEPA=1

They usually have the best prices on the net. Since some of this is legacy technology I am not sure if they have what you will be looking for but they always have great deals and are extremely fast and reliable. I have used them for about 5 years and never been disappointed. I would suggest getting the most ram you can though. If you go to XP with less than at least 1/2 a gig you can bog down and when you do add a dvd burner you will be glad you did so it does not have to continually use your hard drive as a swap file...that is slower than Ram.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »
Thank you.  That helps.  I've also done some pricing and as it sits right now his system is basically a doorstop.  I need to weigh the price of more memory and faster CPU vs just getting a new machine.  I'm thinking there probably won't be much savings in the end even if I got it for next to nothing. 

Bart

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
What is he asking in $$$? If it is more than a one or two hundred dollars, you would be better off getting a new machine. You can get low end systems for $400 to $600 now that are three times the speed of what you are probably looking at. In addition to not having to upgrade it all yourself, you get a new warranty, newer more stable components, a better upgrade path down the line and a registry that is not already full of junk to bog down the performance.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
Offer wise he's not asking a specific amount.  He's asking me to give him an idea of value.  I thought it would be worth a bit more initially, but the more I look the more it's not looking good in value.  Maybe not even worth it to me for $100.00.

Bart

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
I have 256 RAM on a 750 mghrtz AMD Athlon processor and using Win 98SE.

I would not pay any money for a machine this archaic.

I'm constantly locking up and crashing for lack of memory. Today's programs need more than that and it is slow as molasses too. My digital camera's software is one that often gives me grief for lack of memory. I can barely edit anything before it locks up.

MS Office also gives me grief.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
I paid about $1700.00 for my Sony Vaio PCV-RS 320 two years ago and it is still cutting edge. I did add an additional hard drive and more ram.
You can get my exact same computer now for anywhere between $100 and $250.

The one you mention is so archaic that the guy that is pawning it off on you should be paying you to take it away. I have two old computers for spare parts in my closet that are better and I wouldn't dream of selling them to someone.

The big problem is, technology is disposable. Computers become obsolete after 4 years. If you need to upgrade, at least get a P4 and use Windows XP.
I installed XP on Mike W's computer and it eeked out another year of use. Don't use the older operating systems, they slow down the computer and are not supported anymore. Now that Microsoft has their new operating system out, technology will change again.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
Not to worry folks, he's not trying to pawn it off one me.  He asked what I thought it was worth and I said I may be interested providing I can upgrade it a bit.  I could get memory easy enough, but not a faster processor for cheap.  In the end any upgrades would have cost about the same as a low end current computer so I told him it was pretty much good for a door stop.

But, my exsting machine had a ram module die last week and it is too old to even try to get it working with a high speed connection which I will have available in a couple months once I move.  See separate thread for the next big decission.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"