Author Topic: Filtering ideas needed for Merida lily pond  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Filtering ideas needed for Merida lily pond
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how I can modify the pond they have built for me so that it follows some of the filtering guidelines I know about.  The 2 ponds I've built have had a skippy or a bog filter.  This one the way the pipes move the water makes the usual way not really possible. I've always had the water come in from the bottom of the filter space and perk up through the media and overflow back into the pond.  In this one, the water flows in from the top and the pump is at the bottom of a 3' deep hole.  There is an aluminum screen on the top of the hole for catching leaves. 

Here's a picture of the whole pond, the pump hole is at the right against the wall. 

Here's where it flows between the rocks into the pump well.

Looking down into the pump well

and the water return to the pond at the other end from underneath the wall.

Here's my not-so-great attempt at drawing a water flow.

My idea is to invert the usual skippy type filter and have some plastic ceiling grid below the aluminum screen and above the pump.  On top of that put a bag with cut up scrubbies and be able to put some batting if needed.  Perhaps, below the ceiling grid and around the pump put some lava rock.  That might not be needed though as there are so many rocks in the pond anyway that will have some bacteria on them.  In addition, it is mainly a lily pond and will have one pleco and 10 to 20 small guppy type fish for mosquito control.  Sometime in the future it might also have a couple Wakin if I can drive them down from my pond in California.

What isn't in the drawing because it was just too hard.  There is an inlet to the pump well at the bottom of the pond that goes straight through the wall into the bottom of the pump well.  I THINK I might be able to put the hose from a wet-dry vac in that, open the valve and suck the muck from around the pump.  Having lava rock down there would make that harder.   Worst case, I could remove everything above the pump and clean it out with the wet vac from above.

Does this sound like it will work?  I just want to keep the water fairly clear and the fish and plants happy.  There will be some papyrus or taro as well as the lilies.

I don't know the water volume, the pond is fairly deep, around 3'.  It's bigger than it looks in the picture, about 8' along the wall and 4' to the wall at the farthest point.     There is a considerable draw down when the pump is turned on, the water level in the pump hole goes down over a foot to fill the pipe in the wall. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filtering ideas needed for Merida lily pond
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Your pond is looking good!  I like the rock placement.  Filter-wise it seems like you have something similar to my turtle filter tub set up, in reverse.

Like you said, the water comes from the top through filtering material.  Then pump the water from the bottom of the filter space up into the pipe that will carry the water to the other side of the pond.  Also the inlet at the bottom of the space can also be used as alternative outlet for waterflow (extra pump or attachment) or your idea as inlet for cleaning the bottom.  Did this make any sense?  I use scrub material for filter media.  Works very well and have not had to clean turtle poopy bacteria stuffin for the past 3 years.

Sounds like you have the idea already.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
OK, glad it seems to make sense to you too.  I love your not cleaning the media for 3 years.  I don't clean out the skippy in Cat City and no one else does when I'm not there either.  It does have a drain valve on the bottom though and I have told them to open it every couple months and let the gunk out into the banana trees.  I think they do that.  I wish I had a similar setup here but it just turned into an impossible task.   I'm going to be happy if it just works and stays clear.  If it becomes a huge hassle I can redo it later.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
I think your plan is a good plan.  In my case the filter bucket I use takes care of 8 turtles in an aquarium.  Never have any problems.  When I first built the trash can filter I meant to put a drain at the bottom...never got around to it.  The water is very clean with algae build up on the glass sides of the aquarium for a short time in the spring.  That eventually goes away on its own too.  I figure the more simple the better.

Hope someone with more knowledge chimes in.  ;)

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
I'm hoping the Pleco will take care of most of the algae, if not I can always get him a buddy to help.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
The algae problem you could possibly experience may come from too much sun.  If you only get morning sun or late afternoon sun you should be able to get away with a few plecos or goldies with your lilies.  But with full sun you will need many lilies to shade the water! 

Where are the guys more experienced with these matters?  We want to see Jonna's pond thrive with all the work she's putting into it!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
Oh no, I have to have a LOT of lilies?   @O@    I think it will go green until I can get some but I'm hoping to get some divisions out at the aquaparque and fill it up!  The wall starts to shade it in the afternoon, at least at this time of the year. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"