Author Topic: white garden  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
white garden
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
The beginnings of my white garden. I have been planning this one at the back of the house for ages, waiting for the palms to get a good size and bamboo's. I dont know where ya all get the energy with the cameras, but i will do the white bamboo pics next time I'm out there with the camera. They are spectacular giant white frosted towers thick as my thigh already. No comments on the trimming of the ground covers, {nono} we just came out of the dry season so need to wait a bit.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: white garden
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:17 AM »
Only one photo? Whimper, whine....

It looks like a lovely garden. :)

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:20:50 AM »
Shadup, :-X ill do some more soon. Thanks for the compliment. Im putting in some white bougainvillaea this weekend, always hummed and hahed about it because they are quite shy to flower, but better try one or two.

Would you believe my dog killed a whopping 12-foot King cobra in there today, wot drama, I thought she had been bitten but all was well. Here it is half alive on the kitchen floor. Sad.

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »
I love white gardens. They really stand out, even from a distance!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
I personally love white flowers and have worked white and blues into my garden.  This year however most of my whites came up first....I love it as it reminds me of the years I grew up in snow country.  :D

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
SNAKE!!!

:o

Are King Cobras common in Hong Kong?

Your white garden looks very serene and peaceful.  I guess looks can be deceiving though.   :)
Jim

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »
So, is that a white lily?  I recognize all the background plants, we have much the same common here.  I'm wondering though about the white bamboo, I'd love to see a pic of that.  Is it clumping or spreading? 

Bougainvillea does really well here but in fact it is more of a desert plant than a jungle plant.  Lots of hot sun, little water or really good drainage and benign neglect... that's my secret to success.  Too much fertilizer or water and they spend their energy on long thorny growth instead of soft beautiful flowers. 

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
Yikes if I had those kind of snakes here I would not be outside at all. I hope you dog is still okay?

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »
Doggie is fine Vicky, American pitbull. We have many many snakes she has it in for them all, and wasps and anything buzzing.

Jonna the Lilies are amaryllis they grow like weeds, but this white one is nice, it's a nice small flower and not too tall so doesn't topple in a typhoon. Bougainvillaea grows very well here flowers all year but especially in winter, the white one not so. You're right it loves poor soil. The palms are Dypsis lastelliana from Madagascar.

The white Bamboo is clumping, variegated pastille yellow lime and blue covered in a mist of white, a Southern Chinese species. I haven't been able to positively identify it yet, so it could be a new one. None I have seen have the same dense persistant bloom as this one. It's very tall you know, about a three story building.

I have many bamboo, Thyrsostachys siamensis (temple bamboo) from Thailand, Schizostachyum brachycladum from Bali, the golden "sacred bamboo", black and green bamboo, many many, I collected them all on my travels. All are clumping except one lovely local species found growing wild in the forest in our area.
 Its very thin like a pencil, jet black, tall and with a few dainty bright green leaves at the top. It runs around but very discreetly, in a charming way. The gap between culms is about a meter so it gives a lovely effect and loves deep deep shade, quite unusual for a bamboo but very useful. I have it beneath a dense canopy of palms.  It's a shy grower and must absolutely love the conditions to succeed. High altitude high humidity thick leaf mould and plenty of rain and good drainage, seems to prefer steep valley's and ravines along streams.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:47:02 PM by Cedric »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
Well, forget the white bamboo here.  No altitude, we've got the heat and humidity but not much good soil, mainly limestone so we do have excellent drainage.  Which is good since we get so much rain during the summer and fall. 

Do you have the 2 bains of all gardeners here, iguanas and leaf cutter ants?  I don't know that I'd trade them for a king cobra but I'd sure like to keep them out of my garden.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
When I mean altitude I'm half way up a mountain but only about 200m maybe just enough to get the odd mist. The white one doesn't need altitude at all it the slim black one.

I love iguanas I saw them in Mexico amongst other incredible reptiles, do they love juicy plants :P. We have giant flying fox type things that raid the mandarin hedges at night here. Could be why we find so many Burmese pythons hanging out in it.

Worst critters are the boar and the porcupine, hmm hmm they love to dig and rootle around amongst the roots and bark of precious things. Luckily i am heavily fenced and adore wild life otherwise they would be pot roast by now.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
Iguanas are vegetarians, some say they eat bugs early in their life but others say they don't.  At any rate, by the time they are getting big they eat green leafy things and fruit.  Right now the ones here where we are are pigging out on the fallen mangos.  Other times though they can decimate a flower bed very quickly.  The big ones are considered tasty, I suppose they taste like chicken lol   My dobie is always on the hunt for them, I think she may have subsided on them when she was a street puppy.  Hopefully she will keep them up on the walls, we'll see how diligent she is.

This is one of the ones at the RV park we are living in while our house is being renovated.

and this is one from Isla Mujeres, there are a lot out on the point by this tourist spot, they live on the bread and fruit the tourists feed them as well as the greenery on the rocks.  I just like the way they look against the sea.

I love watching them but don't want them in my yard.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »
I love lizards. Even big ugly ones. That water looks sooooo inviting.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
I knew I had a picture of the grackle and the iguana trying to eat the same mango. 

The iguana grabs the whole thing and shakes it until it flies off leaving a piece in his mouth, then the grackle chases the big piece and pecks at it until the iguana comes back for more.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
I love it when the grass turns dry and silver like that. Reminds me of Africa. I find it sad the way people waste water on lawns in climates where they are unsuitable. Like Palm Springs. Dry grasses look so much nicer.
I see there is huge row emerging about how to plant up the new airport there. Part of the "city council" wants to use bedding plants and lawn, the more enlightened want to use drought tolerant planting schemes and stone/gravel cover. Turning into a fisty cuffs.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »
We've always had a place in Palm Springs or now in Cathedral City next door, we have a lot of friends there as well.  When we lived in NoCal, before I retired, we would go down there and Mimi would always start ranting about how "they" were stealing all our NoCal water and look how they are watering their lawns and washing their cars while we are in a drought.  I knew she was right but I never felt as adamant as she did.  In truth, SoCal and the desert does need to use more restraint with water and I think that they are starting to see that.  It is frustrating when you are doing everything you can and watching your lawn die in a drought and then you go down south and see water running down the street from overwatering or see those huge green golf courses out in the desert.   It has definitely changed the climate in the Palm Springs area, I now get allergies when I'm there just like in the north. 

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 06:10:02 PM »

;D i got completely lost in Cathedral city in February, I over shot palm Springs (well it's little isn't it) and ended up miles away. I seem to end up in Palm springs every spring, I have a relative living there who I am doing a bit of work for. The dessert flowers were stunning this year.

With dessert settings as inspirational and as fabulous as Joshua, it makes you wonder what people are thinking? Walking through parts of Joshua national park I kept thinking to myself that I've never seen such an immaculate and incredible garden, nothing in Palm Springs compares. I think also that this is where water features come into their own, an incredible and delectable contrast. There are a lot of gardens like that in the middle East where I have done a fair bit of travel.

I fully agree with you about water wastage, just walking home from the steak house at night I could hardly find anywhere dry to put my feet, water was literally pouring down the roads, no wonder no one walks!

I think its an excellent idea for the airport planting to be a beautiful desert scape, with the odd water feature full of lush green and colourful lilies.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
Beautiful plants Cedric!  And I had no idea Cobras lived in Hong Kong.  Glad you and your dog were not harmed by it.  We just returned from a cruise down to Mexico and while on a bus tour in Puerto Vallarta I looked out the window to see this creature nibbling on leaves in a nearby tree. 

Later while having lunch we also saw iguanas on the roof sunning themselves.  I enjoyed seeing them but the fetching Mrs. Mikey cringed every time she saw one....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
Mikey that's a brilliant shot! I am looking for one of those trees/shrubs I think they are tremendous with their silver undersides and large palmate leaves. Anyone have seeds? Or a name? I couldn't find any seeds when I was there. I think it grows in South America as well.

I drove to Puerto Vallarta and beyond on my own from Vegas last year in a Bronco it was fantastic, more than I can say for the Bronco. I truly enjoyed the peace for a change. The Mexicans are very hospitable and so many interesting and splendid biotopes to discover along the way. Got a few punctures on some of those roads, good excuse to sniff around the local flora and fauna and meet people. In all honesty I think a horse would've been better, next time.

Here is the King Cobra, after a night in the deep freeze, I needed to preserve her. Thirteen feet form head to toe. It's a miracle my dog is still alive, but she is an expert. I think the snake was probably tying to nest in the bamboo groves sadly, I have been looking for her nest to save the eggs. There is no other explanation why she would've come so close to human habitation, unless she was hunting a particular snake that also took "refuge" here.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:23:49 PM by Cedric »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
I think the plant Mike took a picture of with the iguana could be one of these http://backya2.fatcow.com/yucatan/cecropia.htm  If so, it is a common, almost a weed, plant in most tropical parts of Mexico, both east and west coast. 

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
Yes I think it is, it certainly grew like weeds where I saw it. Might be invasive better give it a miss. Though that one doesn't seem to have the silver undersides? A bit like a giant Fatsia japonica

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
This link http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cecr_pel.cfm to the tree named by Jonna states:

"Leaves are rough-textured and dark green above and felty white underneath" thus it may be the same.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 12:24:12 AM »
Thanks Jonna and Mikey so much, I have been racking my brains trying to remember the name of this thing, it is definitely a Cecropia.

From your link I believe the one I am keen on getting seed for is Cecropia palmata. The one I like has a leaf that can be almost a meter across. Not sure if it only grows in South America or Mexico as well, seen sloths eating it on documentaries. Probably also a pioneer species. I see B&T are selling seeds.

Problem is there are 25 species or so? Need to do a bit more research. But I'm sure it will look good in my white garden.

Not sure which this one pictured here is either, but its a nice shot?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:07:20 AM by Cedric »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »
I got interested and did some more googling and found this page http://www.rain-tree.com/cecropia.htm about the medicinal uses for Cecropia.  Pretty interesting. I have some herbal tea I bought in the mercado which is good for respiratory problems and I'm betting now that this is one of the main ingredients.  I have to go back to the herbalist in the Merida market for my friends here so I'll ask him if he sells the Cecropia alone and what it is used for.   He is a naturalist 'doctor' that has a incredible knowledge of medicinal herbs, I drink the tea when I'm congested and it helps a lot.  My friends are on a naturalist course for various reasons and he fills the 'prescriptions' of their homeopathic doctor.   

Here's a blog post with pictures on a trip to the mercado in Merida.  http://www.baddog.com/blog/2008/04/this-was-supposed-to-be-posted-on-41708.html

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
I think it's sad that we have lost so much knowledge of the ancient people who knew what plants treated certain ailments.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »
Wow it sounds like a super plant all round. I also love knowing about the uses of plants. I made quite study of medicinal plants of Africa, primarily South Africa when I live there a bit with my parents. Truly fascinating. Even the good old agapanthus has its uses.

This plant reminds me of the ocean somehow, all those crisp silver lined waves. Its highly desirable to me. One mans prize anothers weed, hey. Its apparently more like a large herb than a tree, maybe some have harder wood than others. Im going to enjoy the chase on this one I just know.

I will also enjoy read your link, thanks Jonna.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"