Author Topic: This just disgusts me...  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
This just disgusts me...
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »
When are Americans going to wake up and realize they are eating themselves to death?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_he_me/medication_nation

Excerpt, that says it all...
Dr. Robert Epstein, chief medical officer at Franklin Lakes, N.J.-based Medco, said he sees both bad news and good in the findings.
"Honestly, a lot of it is related to obesity," he said. "We've become a couch potato culture (and) it's a lot easier to pop a pill" than to exercise regularly or diet.

::) >:( {nono}
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:19:38 AM by Jerry »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: This just digusts me...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:55:09 AM »
Childhood obesity is really  upsetting.  The kids are inundated with commercials touting high fat, questionably nutritious foods.  The schools often make them available  as well.
There are also genetic predispositions to store fat.  Indian people, particularly Mexican Indians. Mestizos, had to face lean times and over thousands of years their bodies learned to store fat for famine.  Here in So Cal children of Mexican descent are often overweight , fat!  Just pass a school and see it. I am not singling out Mexicans, they are the majority in the Los Angeles area.
The  health problems this will cause in later life will cost all Americans.  Medical care will skyrocket.

:'( :'( :'( :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: This just disgusts me...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
I am disgusted by it also but am one of those many thousands of people mentioned in the article. But I'm not sure which is worse, the drugs I'm taking to control my blood pressure or the people who take illegal drugs, abuse legal drugs and/or alcohol and have no physical reason to do so. I'm about 35 pounds overweight at this point and have spent most of my life overweight. My weight has seesawed back and forth almost yearly as I am hit by the awfulness of my obesity and then diet to lose but somewhere along the line lose my motivation and bang,  :'( I'm gaining again. Recently I lost 20 pounds and was excited to go to my annual physical exam, expecting my blood pressure would have dropped  :o but no, in fact it was higher. Fortunately my cholestrol is at 175. Are all blood pressure and cholestrol problems caused by overeating and obesity? I don't think so.

My aunt is the smallest one of 7 kids. She's very slender and active. Up until about 5 years ago, lived on a farm and pushed the lawn mower, had a huge garden, baked and cooked from scratch, canned and froze things from the garden, she helped with the cattle and drove tractor in the fields at times. One day my mother called me to ask if I was getting my checkups because it was discovered that this aunt had a cholestrol level in the 400 range. She didn't go to doctors unless something was wrong and she had always been healthy. Turns out that most of her siblings have a horrid time with their cholestrol. So it sounds genetic to some extent for them.

Now on the other hand, my DH has been overweight for several years by maybe 35 pounds and other than the good food I cook and  have in the house, when he's on his own away from home, he isn't careful at all about what he eats. His blood pressure is unusually low and so is his cholestrol. It just doesn't make sense. He's active because he's a plumber but not in the way of organized exercise.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
The study highlights a surge in children's use of medicines to treat weight-related problems and other illnesses previously considered adult problems. Medco estimates about 1.2 million American children now are taking pills for Type 2 diabetes, sleeping troubles and gastrointestinal problems such as heartburn.

Oh no. I feel a rant coming on. I apologize.

I highly recommend Gary Taubes book, Good Calories Bad Calories. He spent 7 years researching the past 100 years of nutrition research, both the lost European research as well as the awful American research. The Germans did some fabulous research, but it was lost when they fled Germany during WW2. The basic conclusion is the US got it colossally wrong, hence our current epidemics.

The Americans got slammed with this obesity, heart disease, and diabetes epidemic because of the flawed "research" of bad scientists like Ancel Keys, and the subsequent recommendations of the US government. We have been avoiding fat for over 40 years now, following the food pyramid, yet the obesity epidemic continues to worsen. Children are being fed record amounts of sugar both at school and at home. Type II diabetes (which is a sugar metabolism disorder) used to be called "Adult Onset Diabetes".

The American Diabetes Association gets millions of dollars of support from sugar manufacturers (Cadbury-Schweppes is a big supporter, over 500,000$), is it any wonder why they tell people to go ahead and eat their sugar and take more drugs (Merke, Pfizer, Eli Lily, GlaxoSmithKline over 1,000,000 each)?

100 years ago, Americans ate 18 pounds of butter and 10 pounds of sugar per person per year. Heart Disease and T2 Diabetes were rare.
Today, Americans eat 4 pounds of butter and 170 pounds of sugar per person per year. HD and T2 are epidemic.

"Sugar calories are not different from other calories" says Dr. Frederick Stare, former chairman of the Dept of Nutrition at Harvard University's School of Public Health. Harvard's Dept of Nutrition gets the bulk of it's funding from guess who? The processed food industry.

People are dying from this. Limb by limb. And now we have 1.2 million children who are destined to suffer horribly from these diseases. The medical, philanthropic, food producing, and pharmaceutical industries are all benefiting from these illnesses.

The low fat diet is one of the worst hoaxes ever, and now we're seeing the results of it. It is a national shame.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
There may be some hope on the horizon.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_he_me/physician_payments_drug_companies_2

WASHINGTON - Legislation that would require prescription drug makers to disclose payments to doctors got a boost Tuesday when Eli Lilly and Co. broke ranks with the industry and endorsed the bill.

"Transparency brings about accountability and benefits everyone, consumers most of all," Grassley said.
Karen

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »
Karen, I too believe, it's the sugars and starches* in the American diet. The typical American diet CAUSES cardiac disease, blood disease and cancer.
But cardiac disease, blood disease and cancer are money making diseases. The big drug and food manufacturers, no to mention most MDs, don't want you to know this.
So unless you educate yourself, you will become a victim of your own ignorance.
*Cut back on these 2 things ONLY, replace with green, red, orange and yellow veggies, and white meats and fish...and you will see a big drop in most medical issues and disease.
It won't happen overnight, or after 20 pounds, but over a year...keep on cutting back...and everything else will drop too.
I am living proof it works.

And another thing...eat raw flax seed. NOT FLAX OIL. Raw flax seed.
Grind it up into powder in your coffee grinder, sprinkle it on sugarless foods like salads, cereals, mix it into plain yogurt,
(this is my fave, and have an excellent recipe) but just make sure you don't cook it.
Cooking it destroys the ingredients that will lower your cholesterol and help fight cancer, stroke.  8)
About 2 tablespoons of raw ground flax seed a day is like taking the most potent, yet gentle, cholesterol reducing drug in the world.
And guess what? One pound here is about $2.29 and last over a month. How does that compare to your meds?
For me it is also a natural estrogen blocker, so it is helping me fight breast cancer too. :clap:

We need to start taking repsonsibility for our health, and not blame other people or pop pills.

FYI: sugars and starches includes breads, pasta, ALCOHOL, cookies, cakes, potatoes, RICE, grains, corn...all this 'whole grain' propaganda is complete BS, it is still starch.
Eat green veggies and any veggies with red, orange, and yellow in it.
Purple too. (really a red derivative)

You can eat starches in moderation...VERY moderate! 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »
Our pets are suffering from diet related disorders too. Commercial pet foods are full of grains and some even contain sugar. Cats and dogs are carnivores and should be eating meat. There is no wolf or lion alive that would eat rice or corn. If they gulped down a mouse whole the grain it may have eaten would be partially digested in it's stomach. Our pets are dying from the same diseases we are.

My 42 year old brother who was about fifty pounds overweight was just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. There is none in our family. He had no warnings, went from fine to full on in one year.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
Joyce, bingo! I actually laughed out loud when I saw "whole grain" advertised on a box of popcorn. Popcorn? Of course it's a whole grain... err, right up until it gets popped!
Kellogg's also contributes to the ADA and the AHA, and for that they get to plaster their logo on their whole-grain boxes of poison.
Loren Cordain did some research showing that grains have substances in them (Exorphins) that are addictive in humans. Not to mention they are implicated in lots of diseases, like Celiac, Chron's, autoimmune disorders, etc.

LeeAnne, they now make glucose monitors for fido. I can't stand watching those pet food commercials. Rice & corn in fido's food!  >:(-  I know someone feeding her Visla dogs a raw meat diet, with occasional garlic & some grass, and those dogs are amazing. Lean, super fit, and really shiny coats.

I also use raw flax, but don't usually grind it up. I sprinkle it on real (whole, full fat) yogurt with a little DaVinci blueberry sugar free syrup and some frozen wild blueberries.  :) It's a great dessert!

I've also been trying to cut down on processed foods for the pond fish. Good thing the kids like hunting bugs.

Karen

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
Karen, unless your grind it up in a coffee grinder, or chew it until it is compeletly ground up, (quite a task!)
whole flax seeds get passed through your digestive system without digesting at all due to their tough husk.
You you won't get much unless you chew each and every seed.

LeeAnne, you brothers health can be controlled by his diet. (My brother is going through the exact same thing right now but he is at least 100# overweight)
Once again, he HAS to cut back on all sugars, all starches, and alcohol. But my brother is in complete denial now, angry, hair-trigger temper.
A very unhappy person, all because of his self imposed diet. He believes everyone is out to get him, telling him what to do, major paranoia.
I can hardly stand to be around him any more.  :no:

This is why I also believe that depression, bi-polar disorders, ADD (et al) and other behavioral issues are also linked to high starch and sugar diets, and excessive alcohol intake...poor diets.
My brother is a walking-talking example of all of the above. :( When he wasn't fat, he had NO problems.

FYI: Honey is not good just because it is natural...it is still sugar.
POs me a LOT when I see them advising the use of honey and/or raw sugar.
It is still sugar, and therefore still bad for you. Way worse than fat.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
My brother immediately quit drinking (a major task for him) and he is on a strict diet. He has lost about thirty pounds. He is taking it seriously but it is really hard for him because he hates vegetables.

DH and I love vegetables but I don't know how to cook many of them. We have farmer's markets and fruit stands all over the place here and good local supermarkets too. I compost a lot of fresh produce because we buy too much at once and don't get it all eaten before it goes bad.

I have always tried to eat healthy but still have gained so much weight over the years. A lot after the car accident in 2002. I don't eat many processed foods.

DH thinks there needs to be a starch with every dinner and I'm trying to wean him off of so much starch. I could easily give up pasta and rice but not corn and potatoes. I only eat real potatoes, not boxed. I love bread....whole wheat with loads of grains but occasionally I give in to the smell of fresh baked French bread at the supermarket.

They put sugar or high fructose corn syrup (worse) in so many foods. Hard to work full time and make everything from scratch.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
Regarding the general message of the article about the quantities of medication the public consumes, I have the following thoughts.

First of all, I have always been put off by ANY advertisement touting "natural" ingredients.  Arsenic is natural, as is cyanide, ricin, and many other deadly natural compunds.  One of my pet peeves is the unregulated "supplement" industry that sells millions of dollars worth of worthless and sometimes dangerous stuff that people put in their mouths and swallow.  Have any of you seen the miraculous "Dr Frank's pain spray" commercials?  Research the ingredients and then tell me you would spray this stuff in your childs mouth. 

Good grief, the FDA makes enough mistakes without swallowing stuff that hasn't even been tested!

As for me and my meds:

Without daily medications I would have been dead decades ago.  After a viral pneumonia bout in 1975 (Exacerbated by my smoking habit at the time) I became hyperthyroid, and after a shot of radioactive iodine (I131), I was hypothyroid. As I said, I would have been dead years ago without my daily meds. Fifteen years ago, I became diabetic, type 1 at first, and now type 2.  Without insulin, I would again be dead.  I cannot deny that my penchant for glucose loaded soft drinks and my overweight condition at the time were factors in the development of the disease, but as my paternal grandmother and all four of her male grandchildren developed the disease, I cannot swear the condition not to have been inevitable.  Additionally, after an infection of the pericardium 17 years ago, I developed hypertension, resulting in a cerebral hemorrhage (stroke) for which I also take daily meds.  Again, without them I would likely have died years ago.  Additionally, as those of you who have read the account on my website, I had to undergo a TURP several years ago.  You guessed it, almost died as a result and I still have to take medications because of it.

While I sincerely wish that I did not need any of the medications I take daily, I am indebted to the pharmaceutical companies for developing and producing these medications so that I can live a relatively normal life, something not available to my grandmother or my own father, for that matter.

It is important, though, to constantly monitor and research on your own the medications which are prescribed for you, as the possible side effects can be life-changing.  An example is oxybutynin (Ditropan XL), a medication prescribed for millions of people for improved bladder control.  Unfortunately, while the medication does exactly what it is supposed to, since the molecule is small enough to traverse the blood/brain barrier, it has the disturbing effect of causing short term memory loss.   As neurologist Jack Tsao commented, “It may be better to use diapers and be able to think clearly than the other way around."

If it were not for “mixed” blessings…..

PS, Karen J, there ARE some things better now than 100 years ago, since about 300 out of 100,000 population in 1908 died of tuberculosis.

Also, alcohol's effect on the body is to lower blood glucose, not raise it, so the general warning doctors give diabetics about alcohol use is to guard against hypoglycemia.  However, If one's alcohol intake includes sweet mixers or beer, there are carbs in the drink that can effect a rise in blood glucose (hyperglycemia).  Remember, hypoglycemia can kill you even faster than hyperglycemia.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:00:05 PM by Johns »

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:26:42 AM »
Joyce, I'm sorry. I checked my bag and it's already been ground. It's Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed meal. :doh:

There is an interesting kind of "cognitive dissonance" that I often feel when it comes to pharmaceuticals. John's has clearly described the life-saving (not to mention quality of life) qualities that drugs can give. As a capitalist, I believe the drug companies deserve every penny they get because of this. The research that goes into developing a new drug is long, tedious, and expensive. Saving a life with drugs is one of the greatest contributions to civilization that science has given. However, there is also the tricksy side- where drug companies delay the public release of long-term studies that show detrimental outcomes, increased mortality rates, or side effects that are worse than the symptoms being treated. Especially in top selling drugs, such as Vytorin.

One example of that is the class of drugs known as statins. It takes 50 people (middle aged male, already had coronary event) to take the drug before ONE person benefits (number needed to treat, or NNT is 49). Nobody knows the mechanism by which they work, but it is not by lowering cholesterol. Yet these drugs are so often prescribed to people who don't need them, it's a multi billion dollar industry, and there are even doctors suggesting we put it in the water! Higher cholesterol levels are protective in post-menopausal women, yet these women are routinely prescribed statins that have dangerous side effects and will increase their risk of all-cause mortality! Cholesterol levels are a meaningless lab value, and lipid levels have been fractionated again and again (LDL,HDL,VLDL, LDL(a), LDL(b)... in the quest to point a finger towards CVD. The only atherogenic lipoprotein found has been LDL(b), and people rarely get tested with that expensive test (gradient gel electrophoresis). LDL(b) levels increase with a high sugar, high carb diet, yet they're still trying to vilify fat. Nobody ever looks at the dangers of low cholesterol levels (below 140), like cancers, depression, and suicide.
The medical industry is also to blame for that, not just Pharma.
There needs to be a higher standard for research scientists. Science (and thus research) these days has become anything but. It's all dogma and bias instead of skepticism and scientific method.

PS, Karen J, there ARE some things better now than 100 years ago, since about 300 out of 100,000 population in 1908 died of tuberculosis.

Credit is of course due to science for increasing our lifespan. We're not necessarily living longer because we eat a healthier diet. We are living longer because of the elimination/reduction of contagious disease (TB, Polio, etc) and lower infant mortality.

Funny when you look at longevity studies. The Okinawans currently have the longest lifespan (and their traditional diet is loaded with fat). The Swiss come in second, but I suspect they have a higher quality of life, but how to compare? Maybe the Okinawans would object. But the Swiss eat an enormous amount of fat in the way of fresh whole milk and cream, real butter, lots of cheese, and tons of fatty meat. Since heart disease is rare amongst the Swiss, there are scientists there now conducting studies to try and figure out why. Forget the fact that the Swiss don't eat processed refined carbohydrates, the scientists are sure that it's in their genes.  ;)
Unfortunately, for the first time in history, younger Okinawans are expected to have a lower lifespan than their parents because of the influx of American/Westernized foods.
The French Paradox has been slowly melting away as the new paradox emerges. The American Paradox: why are Americans still alive despite their diet of processed refined starches?

One more thing.  ;D Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize (1931) for his original research that showed that cancer cells rely on sugar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Heinrich_Warburg
From above article-
"Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar." -- Dr. Otto H. Warburg in Lecture

1931. 77 years ago. Not only is that another testament to all the great European research that took place before WW2, it's a horrible indictment of the US government's dietary recommendations.

LeeAnne, perhaps your brother would enjoy this!
http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/ftopic22.php

The Bear (Owsley Stanley) is a 71 year old guy who doesn't like vegetables, and who thinks Humans are actually 100% carnivorous. He actually makes a pretty good case for it, being 71 and all. The interesting part is that he worked for The Grateful Dead on their sound systems, and was a major producer of LSD.  :o
Karen

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »
Karen J,

I agree.  After taking statins for years to lower cholesteral (For diabetics, it is recommended to  take statins at cholesteral levels lower than the general population), I quit taking any statins last January because of muscle pain and will not resume them regardless of any future cholesteral levels.  It is important to note that no statins are claimed to result in longer life, only to reduce cholesteral.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »
Johns, they never did find the source of my pericardium infection, did they yours?
It left scarring thus my recent problem.
I am better than before, really!  I was doing 10 miles a day on a bike at level 2  now I do almost 20 at level 3 and 4,  mostly 4  Legs used to hurt, but no more! (more Oxygen?)
No alcohol at all and no caffeine.  {nono} Sweets?  Yep, I do love ice cream! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"