Author Topic: My first pond  (Read 1894 times)

Offline rmaccara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My first pond
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:43 AM »
After a few trials and tribulations, a few suggestions from the forum (and the odd strip down and rebuild) I've finally got my pond to the place where I feel comfortable adding some plants and a couple of fish.
I've absolutely no idea of how to pot plants to keep the soil mix intact under water, or what to plant even.
Suggestions???
I built a good sized biofilter out of a skimmer box with the output feeding the small waterfall.
Here's a picture of what I've got so far:

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My first pond
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:44:15 AM »
I like your pond...Sounds like your on the right path---Filtration, Filtration, Filtration--way too many ponds out there with out good filtration-you would be surprised how many people think the little foam piece on their pump intake is the filter  ::)..a little tip on potting plants---all marginals can be planting in just pebbles or stone---all you really need the media in the pot for is to keep them up right--you can either fertilize them or just let them pull their nutrients from the pond water....I have found the only 2 things that really do require dirt to really thrive are lotus and lilies....and then the best dirt is plain ol' clay soil topped off with gravel to keep the dirt in....however I have also used cheap walmart cat litter on the lilies---they did fine---but, really didn't thrive like they do in clay soil---oh and if you don't have any clay soil you can buy the cheap top soil and use that....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »
That looks great!  If you are like the rest of us, your first pond won't be your last and only pond  :D  I have been really blessed this week by generous people on this forum, so I thought I would pass on the good deed and send you a waterlily to get you started, but then I realized that you are in Canada, and not sure how much a of a problem that presents as far as shipping goes... :-\  There are several members on here from Canada though that can steer you in the right direction to get some plants... In fact, here is a link to a discussion on just that  :)  Good luck with your pond and keep us updated with pics once you get it planted!
Joey

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »
Looking good! Can't tell the size, but you could probably have a lily in there, maybe a dwarf one, they are good for shading, maybe some water hyacinth, water cress or water celery to spread on the top and cover, an oxygenator or two also. A couple shubokens or comets would also do well. How deep is the pond? If it is under 2 1/2 or 3 feet you may have to bring your fish in for the winter.

Where in Canada are you located?

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:04:27 AM »
Nice pond!

I usually do what Lawanna says. I found that a mix of the cheap WalMart kitty litter works pretty well when mixed with the bagged top soil. Osmocote fertilizer in bottom of pot. Sometimes I use gravel on top, sometimes sand or rocks. Depends on what is closer.  ;)
Just make sure the cheap kitty litter is the one with no additives, deodorizers, etc. It's in a red bag and it's 100% clay.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline rmaccara

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
Those are great planting suggestions! Thank you!
I hope the cats don't mind sharing their litter with the plants!
I live just outside Halifax in Nova Scotia - Bedford. What part of NB are you in, Derrick?
Unfortunately plants don't make for good cross-border shipments. Far too much paperwork to fill out for our two governments! CITIES, diseases, and insects have all but put a stopper on most plants except for commercial growers and shippers. I'm pretty sure Joey that this will be my only pond for now - I just don't have any room to add to it or dig another one! I've loved all this aquatic for many years - I've been a fish keeper since the '70's so I'll have to be happy with this one. There is a big area in the front yard that might work though... hmmmm...

The pond is about 475-500 gallons and the deepest part is just over 2' deep. There is a shelf running most of the way around the pond at one foot depth level. I suspect that whatever fish are still in the pond come winter will be relegated to the cold room in the basement in a rubbermaid tote! I just wish I knew more about plants! What grows well in an aquarium at 78 degrees won't do well outdoors here on the east coast!

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
LOL, I hate to tell you but your pond is going to be a herons food dish at that depth and with the shelf. You should think about keeping a net on it at all times the fish are in residence. If you had dug about a foot deeper hardy water lilys would do fine in most cases for all year & may be ok if you do not let the water freeze solid in winter. Or you might also bring them in. I would not do more that a mini lily but it would look great.

Offline Derrick

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
I'm in a small town called Hartland, about 2 hours north of Fredericton. Good to see another Meritimer on here!! ;D

I just started my pond last year, so I am no expert for sure. I did a TON of reading though before buying. Everything you need to know is on the inter-net, it's just a question of finding it. If you have any local nursery that sells aquatics talk to them (but don't believe everything they tell you!). Next year I would probably have some stuff I could have sent you, that wont do you much good now though! hahaha

I found a good online nursery for some things, and also a member here was nice enough to send me some things for postage! Check out the plant exchange here, there is a Canadian section.

I have never had a heron issue. Pigeons and Robins are another story though! >:(-

Derrick

Offline rmaccara

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
Hartland is very pretty - you must have seen some of the flooding there.
We don't have any herons around here, although there are lots of seagulls!
I'll look at the Canadian section for plants, and go to a couple of the plant places around.
Atlantic Gardens is just a couple minutes from my home so I could walk there. I did go by a few weeks ago and they said it was still too early for pond plants...  :(

Offline Derrick

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »
There certainly was lots of flooding, but I'm on a big hill! ;D

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
Pretty!  So have you started to think about where your next pond will go?  How big it will be?  You can't stop with just one.   {:-P;;

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure Joey that this will be my only pond for now - I just don't have any room to add to it or dig another one! I've loved all this aquatic for many years - I've been a fish keeper since the '70's so I'll have to be happy with this one. There is a big area in the front yard that might work though... hmmmm...

See before you even finished that paragraph saying that it would be your only one,  you were already thinking of another spot to put pond #2  lol  That is how it goes... It is very addictive!  We'll just stick to the "for now" part of that first sentence....  ;)
Joey

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »
love your pond.  And just think you can do like me.. anywhere there is a empty spot on the ground I sink a pot in the ground and another water garden is born :)

tinkster

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »
I have had 10 ponds for years. My deepest is 24 inches. I have never had a heron yet. But I hope I never do. It just depends where you live and the luck of the draw. Tracey has had herons., Even this year she has.  Tracey how deep is your front pond that the heron took your daughters fish?

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 07:40:46 PM »
Looks really great.  You did a great job!

Offline rmaccara

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments!
I'm loving the outdoor version of my hobby!
Rob

Offline Double S

• Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:21 AM »
You did a good job!

That's about how deep my ponds are. One is a tad deeper -- and "so far" no herons have come for dinner here. I do also have a plant shelf too.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"