Author Topic: Mating bugs caught in the act..... ruthie.. did you send me these :)  (Read 832 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just kiddng ya.. they were on the water celery  all day  yesterday and I thought they surely most like it.. now I konw why.
what are the things??? I am sure they are some undesirable thing that I should probably kill while they arent moving..

tinkster

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
LOL!!! They "love bugs"!  I wonder if they hitched a ride? :o  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug  I bet they did hitch a ride on the water lettuce.  They are harmless.  Down here, they have peaks in their populations twice a year and everybody's car is plastered with them.  They will fly in huge masses.  My mom and dad were married at the end of August...peak of love bug season.  She said that aftter they left the church she walked right into a cloud of love bugs and they got stuck in her veil and the netting of her wedding dress!

If they are a hitchhiker, they will probably die pretty quickly...adults only live 2-3 days. 

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tinster Never saw a true to Life Love Bug.  Thought it was just a fictional state!  o(:-) Now I have seen a picture of a real one I'll know what to look for . Thanks for sharing.  :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
There are caterpillers out there right now, eating my water lettuce and hyacinth, and some lily pads.  But I can't bring myself to smush them.  I say, give them some privacy, and let the lovers do their thing.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"