Author Topic: tropical lilies hardiness  (Read 1110 times)

Offline judyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
tropical lilies hardiness
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
Do you have any information on which tropicals are the most hardy?  Pamela grows all year in my pond and I'd like to find more like her.  :)  I live in Phoenix AZ but in an area in which we have more temperature extremes than some others. This year wasn't really cold but it didn't warm up quickly. My water temperature was below 65 until recently.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: tropical lilies hardiness
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »
Hi Judy
I grew up in Phoenix and miss it terribly. As far as I know (I didn't pond beyond a whiskey barrel when I lived there) all Tropical waterlilies are hardy in Phoenix.

We have had several members that live in the Valley, one sold waterlilies on her website. I can't remember which ones but it was quite a few different ones. Sadly, she stopped ponding online and we lost track of her.

I know Lynn is out in Mesa, she might chime in. If not, you might find her on the Arizona Gardening board at Garden Web.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
Are you asking for extreme heat temps or cold temps?
Anything that is viviparous is usually better suited to handle the cold. Many of mine bloom thoughout 10 months of the year.
As to heat, all tropicals love the heat but some fare worse than others.
Many of the multipetalled flowers without stamen don't like temps near or above 100 degrees.
King of Siam is an example of this.
Some do well as a fully grown and established plant but others look ugly in extreme temps.

This was taken last week.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline judyb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
As far as I know (I didn't pond beyond a whiskey barrel when I lived there) all Tropical waterlilies are hardy in Phoenix.
I know Lynn is out in Mesa, she might chime in. If not, you might find her on the Arizona Gardening board at Garden Web.

Thanks LeeAnne,  Lynn is a friend of mine.  O0  A mutual friend manages to keep most of her lilies all winter.  The difference is that she lives near a street with block walls around a smallish area.  I live in an irrigated area and my pond is far from the street and we're a tiny bit higher than downtown Phx. There are no near block walls to hold the heat.

Timgod,

Are you asking for extreme heat temps or cold temps?
Anything that is viviparous is usually better suited to handle the cold. Many of mine bloom thoughout 10 months of the year.
As to heat, all tropicals love the heat but some fare worse than others.
Many of the multipetalled flowers without stamen don't like temps near or above 100 degrees.
King of Siam is an example of this.
Some do well as a fully grown and established plant but others look ugly in extreme temps.

I was asking about extremes in cold.  I've already found out that the stamenless lilies don't like the heat in my pond.  :(

I've had viviparous lilies that did indeed stand the cold water well. Unfortunately, they too have finally died out.  They seem to last for a while, but eventually they can't make it through another winter. If we have an extended cold spell, like the winter of 2006/2007, they croak even faster.  I had quite a bit of ice on my ponds this year, too.

The desert has extremes in temperature, many plants that can stand the heat, often can't take a cold winter.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
Try another one.
When you do, just gather some of the babies off of the viviparous pads and store them in the house in the winter.
As soon as you have 70 degree water, you'll have flowers up again.
That is the easiest form of propagation that you can do and count on.
In tubering, you never know how many viable tubers you might produce, and there is always the chance of losing the plant when you starve it.

Tim

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »
I would bet that Lavender Lace would survive there. It seems to be pretty tough for a tropical.
My environment isn't a great deal different than yours outside of you are probably a tad bit hotter for a longer period of time than we are here.
I was too busy to get things done last fall and Lavender Lace stayed out in the kiddie pool until mid to late November. It was getting pretty darn cold and it was still trying to bloom, not even showing any signs of slowing down.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline judyb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
I had Lavender Lace but our very cold winter before last killed it. It's a little too much like a weed for me.  I had trouble keeping up with all the vips it made. They were everywhere and the flower wasn't a favorite of mine.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
Panama Pacific, Lindsey Woods, Queen of Siam, Tina and Shirley Bryne...
All great bloomers and all viviparous.
Give one a try and you won't be sorry.

Tim

Offline judyb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »
Tina is one of my favorite lilies. I just acquired another last week. I wasn't as pleased with Panama Pacific, but I did like Lindsey Woods a lot. I haven't tried Shirley Bryne and Queen of Siam. I'll give them a look.  Thanks.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"