Author Topic: cranes HELP  (Read 755 times)

Offline john k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
cranes HELP
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
does anyone know how to get rid of cranes , missing four fish and saw the murder. help please

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: cranes HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
I live in the middle of the swamp...great blue herons, egrets, bitterns wander through the yard all the time.  Last year I had losses of my favorite tancho koi and a large number of goldies.  Also lost some small fish to snakes.  Since then, I keep a net on the pond at all times.  They can stab through the net, if they really are determined to get the fish, but it has worked as a deterrent here.  Om my above ground pond (where my more vulneralbe fantails are) we keep the net up on a frame, secured with those coffee mug hooks,  A heron would have to figure out how to get under the net because it sits up about two feet above the pond, circus tent style. 

Also...dogs!  My dogs see the pond as "their" turf and they routinely patrol. 

There are motion sensor devices that will spray water whenever anything gets near.  My step mother uses one of those to keep her dog out of her flower berds, but I don't know how they work on large water birds.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
Cranes?
I know of only three species of cranes in North America = Whooping Crane, Sandhill Crane, and Common Crane.
All three eat mostly frogs, crayfish, and so on.
They aren't primarly fish eaters.

Are you talking about herons?

Offline john k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/10/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
yes not cranes but herons thank you for the correction.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"