Author Topic: How Many Worms To Feed  (Read 770 times)

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How Many Worms To Feed
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
As stated in a previous post I have two wild bream (sunfish) in my pond.  I would like to someone's opinion as to how many night crawlers (worms) I should feed them and how often?
Louisp

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Worms To Feed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
We have a bluegill...about six inches long.  Since we also have mosquito fish, ghost shrimp, tadpoles and other critters (for instance...we have a complete lack of baby goldfish in her pond, though there are lots of baby goldies in the other pond)  that she can eat, I take a cue from her about when she is actually hungry.  In fact, the only time I actually see her is when she wants to be fed, otherwise she is invisible.  If she's hungry, she appears between the lily pots whle the other fish are scarfing fish food.  She will grab a worm and then dart off to eat it away from the koi.  Usually each afternoon she will return for 3-4 more worms.   Then, I figure she's full because she won't take any more.  She also likes white grubs and slugs. She is growing and appears healthy.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
I agree with Ruthie - until they won't eat anymore.

Koi, and most fish, don't have complicated guts. When they push too much in, they poop the rest out.
You can't overfeed them - except you can create a water quality problem - too much poop.

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »
I rarely see mine and then only as the dart from one cover to the next.  I just drop two or three worms (each about 4" long) in separate areas of the pond about every two days.  I also throw in dead honey bees killed by our patio light.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:39:54 PM by cypress point »
Louisp

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"