Author Topic: Walking Iris  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Walking Iris
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
One of my favorite plants is this Walking Iris.  The flowers last but a day but in a couple of days it will repeat with additional blooms and continue doing so for several weeks before the tall stalk eventually bends over and allows the plant-lets forming where the blooms were to take root and "walk"...  ;D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Walking Iris
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
That flower is beautiful!  First I've seen or heard of one.  Wouldn't it be nice if it walked over to my garden?  ;D

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
I'm guessing it replicates with every stroll?
The flower is lovely.
Got more photos?

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
Very beautiful flower and interesting method of propagation.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
Love that flower!  Interesting way of propagating too.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
Sunbeam: Before the stalks touch down....and walk away ;)  I cut them and pull off the plantlets which are already forming roots and pot them up in order to put them where I want them.  There is also a white variety but since I'm not a fan of white flowers I no longer have it.....  And there is a yellow variety but the flower on it is quite small.  Here's a photo I took a few a few years ago of the yellow variety.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
I thought the shape of the flower looked familiar.  I'm pretty sure that the white version is in the yard in Cathedral City, planted along a path by the original landscapers.  I didn't know about the walking part though, I'll have to send the info to my friend there.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »
Beautiful Mikey o(:-) Is the purple one the same size as the yellow?
You should consider getting the white one again. White is a very nice contrast with colors O0
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
Jonna:  The white one is named Neomarica gracilis.  The white variety has white outer leaves and bluish inner leaves.  Is the one in Cathedral City in shade or filtered sun?  Unlike a true iris these plants do best in bright light situations but burn in the sun.

Steve: The purple flower, Neomarica caerulea, is much larger than the yellow variety.  They probably wouldn't make a good contrast because the white variety does not send up the flowering stalk nearly as high as the purple variety.  The stalk on the purple variety can get 4' or so high whereas the stalk on the white variety immediately starts to lean over and has a much shorter stalk.  Besides, with just a few exceptions I just don't like white flowers......  :P

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »
The one in Cat City is just outside a trellised area and gets full sun most of the day except late afternoon.  As you know, that area has strong sunlight and a lot of heat.  I just don't remember the walking part, it's a bunch that has gotten much larger over the years I've seen it.  It probably is about 4' across now.  Last time I walked around there 'plant talking' with my friend the owner she was talking about either cutting it back or moving it somewhere else as it now overhangs the walk.  I'll call her this weekend, with my cell phone weekend minutes  ;) and ask about it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"