Author Topic: A couple things in bloom...  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
A couple things in bloom...
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »
There were a few things in bloom today, a clematis called Violet Elizabeth, hemerocallis Pandora's Box and Hemerocallis Stella D' Oro.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: A couple things in bloom...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
How does Violet Elizabeth grow for you? She is a dog for me.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »
Love Pandora's Box!  O0

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:49 PM »
Nice Sean,
When I think of clematis why do I think of 151? lol can't for the life of me get one of those to grow here. :(
You folks must have the right climate up there.
my stellas are done blooming now, but sure do enjoy them while they are here.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
I have a few dwarf reblooming daylilies that I purchased last year and this is the first year for them all to bloom. I will post photo's as they come out. I have been crossing the ones I have here because I would like to create my own hemerocallis hybrids. The collection I have include Stella d'Oro, Little Business, Pandora's Box, Little Grapette, You Angel You and Strawberry Candy

LeeAnne, Violet Elizabeth has been sketchy for me as well, in the seven years I have had these double blooming clematis, Violet Elizabeth has been the one that rarely blooms.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:59:21 AM »
Sean,

Very nice blooms.  I need to get some different colored reblooming daylilies.  I just keep dividing my Stellas and I now have over fifty large clumps of them.  They are beautiful right now, but getting a little boring. 
My mom is such a neat and tidy person.  When her Stellas are finished with their first big blooming period, she cuts them all off.  Within two weeks they are up all fresh just like springtime and blooming in no time!  Some summers she cuts them off twice.
Steve, I'm surprised your Stellas are done blooming up north.  Mine are at their best right now!

Karen

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »
Sean, Glad to know it isn't just me. I was going to rip her out but just planted another one next to her instead.
If you want better performing doubles, Multi-blue and Josephine are better though the shape of the blooms is a little different.

Steve, you need to try the viticella group of Clematis. Anyone frustrated with Clems needs to try viticellas.

They are more vigorous and good for people in colder climates because they need to be hard pruned every year to bloom well and they just freeze to the ground and you don't have to worry about it. They also do well in hotter dry climates. Here in our wet climate, they do get mildew....

They grow 8-12 feet or more in a single season. They are not prone to Clematis Wilt and they get started faster than the type II's. The type II's have bigger flowers and are more common at nurseries because of it but they are fussier.

Some to look for are: Polish Spirit, Betty Corning, Prince Charles, Alba Luxurians, Huldine, Earnest Markham, Etoile Violette, Kermesina, Madame Julia Correvan, Minuet, Venosa Violacea, Ville de Lyon, Purpurea plena elegans, Abundance

These are too big for your average mailbox or light pole. I have some in their second year that are bigger than my ten year old type II's.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »
Beautiful...I'm so jealous of all the lovely things you folks can grow.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Sue one of the ladies on the Garden Web Clematis forum lives in Texas and her yard is a freaking jungle with roses and clematis and other perennials. She doesn't have the fungus issues Sean and I must deal with.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"