Author Topic: Dumb question, but...  (Read 714 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dumb question, but...
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
In the spring I bought two small floating heart plants, dropped them in my pond and sort of forgot about them.  I was looking at them today, noticing the stalks of buds breaking the surface.  I also noticed that these plants put out runners like mad and are reaching halfway around my pond  :o  There are well-developed roots all over, and I guess I could snip them and repot (leaving me with LOTS of plants).  What I want to know is:
Can I 'divide' them now, and is that the right method?
Will doing this stop them from flowering?  I've never seen them bloom, and would hate to miss it!
And lastly, in case I have as many divisions as I think I will, any advice on packing them up for trading (if anyone is interested, that is  {:-P;; )

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question, but...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
you can pop off all the babies you want and it will just keep on going.....just pop them off and pot them up...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »
I have yellow snowflake I bought only a month ago.  All of a sudden, I looked at it earlier this week, and there are tons of new plants.  I broke off several and passed them along to friends.  Snowflake does well in the shade, and that's what my friends have.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:43:02 AM »
Yep, just break them into sections... as long as each section has at least one set of roots... Well, now that I think about it, I think I have started new sections that didnt even have roots, but they developed some.  I could be mistaken about that though.  Floating heart grows well in or out of dirt, and if floating will likely find dirt to grab onto with its runners at some point.  It is good at finding my lily pots and anchoring in :)  It seems to grow larger greener leaves for me when well rooted in dirt, rather than just floating though.  It is a blooming fool once it gets going too....
Joey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"