Author Topic: 100 goldfish!  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
100 goldfish!
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
I put up flyers at our local feed stores...I have an abundance of yellow lilies and baby goldfish to rehome.  A fellow came out today and bought over 100 baby common goldies, comets and shubunkins for his new (large) pond.  I spent most of the morning catching the little guys.  I probably still have another 50 or 60 hiding in the lily pots.  They got wise to me pretty quick and headed for the far side of the pond.  I'll catch those later...the pet shop also wanted some shubunkins.  So yay!  I was worried about what to do with all these extra fish. 

(I kept most of the midnight blue colored shubunkins and all the fantails though {:-P;;)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 100 goldfish!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
Glad they found a home - in a POND, not an Oscar's tank!  The little stinkers are hard to catch.  There must be an easier way, and if there is, I'd like to know.

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »
Julles...one thing that worked really well was setting a minnow trap!  My aunt had one and she gave it to me.  The fish got in and couldn't get out.  I set it over night and had about 35 fish in it this morning.  Of course, I had to catch the rest of them hard way.

Offline Vickie

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:30:55 AM »
I use a minnow trap in the fall to help catch my mollies and platies I put in small ponds.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:12:58 AM »
 ;D  Congrats on rehoming the fish.

I have about a bigillion in my tanks...too small to even catch.  I usually have a little luck with a minnow trap when they get bigger.  I wish I had fish eating nymphs or spiders.  The parents have not eaten for 2 or 3 days now...I hope they are doing some good with the fry.  Enough is enough.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:14:15 AM »
Glad you were able to find someone to take so many & that they aren't going to be used for bait or something.  I've got several hundred sarassas, shubunkins, & comets that I need to rehome but no one in the Dallas area is interested in them.  Go figure.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »
Man, wish I was closer, could have put em in the old oscar tank  lol lol lol lol
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
My ex had luck finding homes for surplus koi by calling restaurants and hotels - Many of those places have decorative fish tanks or ponds.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Glad you found homes for them.  We did that a couple years ago with the goldfish.  Wish I had some more shubunkins, the heron got my 2 favorites, and the biggest one died a couple years ago.  Have one nice blue one and DH came home with 2 little ones for me yesterday...they are hiding in the cattails, I think all the big fish have them pretty scared.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:18:43 AM »
I cant believe pet shops will take that risk of buying hobbiest goldfish
Thanks,
Rich

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:57 PM »
I have a dilemma concerning goldfish babies. About one month ago I built a 1000 gallon pond and moved a lily and Hornwort from a small preform that contained some common goldfish (feeder goldies)to my new pond went on vacation for two weeks. Of course when I returned home what do I have but 100's of babies with no predators to thin the ranks.  >:(- Since then I have built a 7000 gallon pond that I just added 6 sarassa comets. The plan is to connect the two ponds via a stream from the smaller pond but I do not want any of the babies to wash down stream. Any ideas how to prevent this? Can I give the babies away before they change color? Maybe a bluegill is the answer! They are so friendly the little buggers swim right into my hand. 

Fm3

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"