Author Topic: Some more tropicals and such  (Read 1907 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some more tropicals and such
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:46:55 AM »
Annette is correct - this unusual humidity were have been enduring in Southern California of late has had one great result - blooms on my tropicals.
I don't have major gardening experience, and being blessed with a Mediterraen climate, I muddled along. Enter Sean - "Oh no, you must push the envelope and grow tropicals"

Cheers, 

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline MikeW

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some more tropicals and such
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:49:06 AM »
And a few more
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:50:28 AM by MikeW »

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
I love the tropical reds in your garden, Mike!!  The red in the passie v. is brilliant, beautiful flower.  Extremely interesting is your aristolochia, wow!  Thanks for the extras! 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
Beautiful!  I love the view in your photo of the aristolochia of the rooftop and the distant valley!  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Rick40

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
Once again awesome photos Mike. I love your 3rd and 5th pics the best. I wish I could grow them in my yard. The only tropical plant that I have in my yard is a Hibiscus. In the fall I will have to move it indoors. I hope I don't kill it.

Rick

Offline Cedric

• Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »
I love that passiflora as well. It grows well here but only flowers in the cooler months. Funny world, I would give anything for a nice Mediterranean climate right now. All those fiery colours, and flowers flowers flowers.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »
Now that your Heliconia flower has opened more it looks exactly like mine.  I "liberated" my Heliconia seeds from the Huntington where they have a large flowering grove of them in their tropical area, mostly in filtered sun.  They ID theirs as Heliconia schneeana.  Now that your clump has matured, it should be able to send up flowering stalks every year.  I'm still amazed that it does so well in FULL sun......
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:39:24 PM by Mikey »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
I "liberated" my Heliconia seeds from the Huntington where they have a large flowering grove of them in their tropical area, mostly in filtered sun.

;D :D

Mikey!  How long does it take a liberated seed to grow up and have beautiful blooming display?

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »
That full sun location is definitely the wrong spot though Mike - it struggles along rather than thriving. The leaves are always scorched looking. The huge geranium 'bush' growing through / with / over it has provided some relief, but I don't really have any shady spots to move it to.

I have a White Sapote planted in the middle of the back garden, but despite how quickly they grow, it'll be years before I enjoy dappled sunlight.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »
Annette:  I'm guessing it took 4-5 years from seed to flowering....  I didn't pay too much attention.  If you want a division from my clump, let me know and I'll cut out a section for you.

Mike: Even though mine are in filtered sunlight they still get burned edges.  I'm wondering if perhaps it's because of the salts in my alkaline soil and city water.....  In the tropics they would get rain water to wash away accumulated salts. 

Sapote????  Is that a tropical fruit tree?  Sounds familiar.  I recently removed my flowering 'Incense' passion vine because of all the suckering going on and planted a fruit bearing passion vine (contained in a pot) that now has at least 8 fruits maturing on it.  I also planted a strawberry guava but I guess it's too late in the season for it to produce fruit.  I hope I like passion fruit and strawberry guava...  ;D

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
Mike -
An old neighbour of mine had propogated a bunch of things, and he made a gift of this to me. A native of Mexico apparently, he said it could be spelled Sapote or Zapote. A quick grower too - in about two years it is over 10', but is like a beanpole, and has not starting spreading out yet.

I am imagining a patch of "moist, well drained soil, under dappled sunlight" That would be a better selling point for the house than any number of bedrooms and bathrooms.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »
There are several types of sapote down here form big to small and I find almost all of them really good just eaten with a spoon.  Some of the larger ones can be stringy, mainly the Mamey.  What it sounds like you have is the smaller, round ones that are sweet and creamy.  I think you'll like them once it starts producing fruit.   The S and Z sound the same in Spanish, so you'll find both spellings. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
If you want a division from my clump, let me know and I'll cut out a section for you.

Thank you Mikey!!  Does it matter when you divide and plant?  I'm not ready to dig the area I think it will be perfect but once I get the new pond liner out of the way I can start planting again.  You guys have given me the tropical bite:D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »
It's best to divide in the fall.  Let me know when you are ready for it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
Thanks Mike!   @O@  I'll wait 'til Fall.  Probably the best time to plant it too.  I'll let you know!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Stunning garden.  Everything is so  beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"