Author Topic: ~Follow along on a reconstruct- above ground pond ! (pictorial)  (Read 2756 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
Thought I would take some progressive pics on this pond here.   This pond is being reconstructed as the client is so sick and tired of the coons getting out his fish, he's finally ready to make it deeper !  The pond was barely 17inches deep, as the pond builder before stopped there sucumbing to the PURE bed rock that was under 5inches of soil.  My idea was to come along and RAISE it above grade and get the depth he wanted as well as scoot it back and make it larger along the perimeter.

HERE IS A PIC OF JASON LOOKING OVER THE AREA AFTER WE DEMOLISHED ALL THAT WAS THERE. FIRST ROW OF CINDER BLOCK IN GENERAL PLACE.

PICTURE OF MARK... AS ALWAYS SMILING AWAY.  FOR A 56YEAR OLD.. HE CAN MOVE A ENTIRE 2000LB PALLATE AND MIX 80LB BAGS OF MORTAR ALL DAY LONG !

ANOTHER USEFUL TOOL WHEN NEEDING TO DRILL HOLES THROUGH STONE AND BRICK- HAMMER DRILL !   IT VIBRATES AS IT DRILLS AND MAKES SHORT WORK OF THE 2INCH THICK SLATE STONE THAT WE NEEDED TO GET THOUGH AND THEN 3INCH BED OF CEMENT UNDERNEATH.  REBAR WILL BE DRIVEN DOWN THOUGH THIS AS ANCHOR POINTS FOR THE BLOCK.

PICTURE OF JASON USING A ANGLE GRINDER WITH METAL BIT TO CUT DOWN REBAR THAT WILL BE PLACED IN THE CINDER BLOCK HOLES.

ANGLE GRINDER --GREAT TOOL TO HAVE !  HERE IS JASON WITH SWAPPED OUT BIT ( MASONARY CUT BIT ) USING IT TO SHAVE ANGLES ON THE CINDER BLOCK TO MAKE IT AROUND THE SKIMMER THAT HAS BEEN SET IN MORTAR AND POSITIONED HIGHER FOR THE 2 TIER ROW OF BLOCK.

MORE TO COME IN THE WEEK TO FOLLOW !
STAY TUNED ;)
C

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:19:54 PM by spanishleprachaun »
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ~Follow along on a reconstruct- above ground pond ! (pictorial)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
Can't wait to follow this thread.  I already know it will turn out great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »
very interesting... can't wait to see the end result!
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
Thank you Carlos for starting this thread!  Love to see "how to build a pond" details!! 

Wishing I had half the strength of Mark  :o  Good for him!

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »
This is how I learn how to do things.  I can imagine how deep it will be with the skimmer in place.  Using cinder blocks sure beats digging.  Great ideas.  I can't wait to see how you build the waterfall on this one.  Thank you for sharing, Carlos. 
Alfonso

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:21:21 AM »
Great Start! Keep us posted o(

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:35:07 AM »
Carlos, it's clear that your company uses superior construction methods.  I, too, would like to see pics of the on-going work.

But it seems like a small pond for all that effort and expense.  How big is it?  From the pics, it looks like only 4'-5' round.  I can understand them wanting it to be deeper.  But, gee, while they're at it, wouldn't they want to make it wider, too?

What do you do with the fish, in the interum?

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
  Couple more pics.
Here Jason is installing a overflow pipe.  We tend to have these very hard, large and fast thunder storms that pass through San Antonio when the rainy season hits, and I'ld had too see water overflow the pond along the sides and possible wick back and get trapped between the liner and rock bed underneath.  That would then cause the liner to "bubble up" and bIggggggggggggggg mess.  So, we added in a bulkhead though the backside skimmer wall, cut the block to allow a flex pvc 1.5inch to them come from the bulkhead fitting down and then away from the pond 15feet' to a low depression area.

Here we are installing diamond mesh or most refer to it as  metal lathe.  it's used to help hold the mortar on the wall so that when you smack it on the block it does not simply fall off in a mess.  You can see I cut "flanges" in the mesh and bent them into the joints between the block.  I will then mortar in the gap joints and further anchor the lathe right into the block.  I also have predrilled holes with my masonary drill bit and them screwed in Tap mortar/brick screws to help pin the lathe closer to the block.

Here jason is lightly mortaring certain points to prep the lathe for the upcoming mortar and rock work.  Using a tool called a cement trowel to apply the mortar quickly and smoothly.

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
JULLES--- the pond looks smallish in the pics , but it is larger than what it was.  It's just at 12feet wide by 11 from front to back.  At the center, it's exactly 3 feet deep, huge improvement over 17inches from before ! soooooooooooooooooo... taking the let's say 11 feet diamter and the avg. depth of 2.5 feet.... we should be looking at a pond in the range of 1700gallons when done. ( if azponds pond volume calculator is correct )  @O@
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
Oh, I see, it IS bigger than it looks in the pictures.

What is the mortar for?... to hold the cinder blocks together, and you will use a liner?  or is it going to be a cement pond? 

And please be SURE to post "after" pics.  Oh, and lots more "during" pics, too.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
What I wouldn't give to have Mark at my disposal.  8)   :P  There is so much work to do at my house and Bob and I are both somewhat handicapped physically.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:08 AM »
Cinder blocks are hollow for several reasons-- and one of them is to be able to fill them with mortar or concrete and "solidify them together".  Use of rebar also helps lock them to one another as well as staggering them and not stacking them straight up on one another adds to strength.

back on this one tomarrow--- waterfall area to be prepped as well as start of the flagstone exterior !! woo hoo ! this will be a 45mil liner pond.  I don't do concrete ponds :P
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »

And soooooooooooooooo we continue.

Here is Jason making sure the biofalls has a sturdy and secure footer.  i've seen way to many in time start sagging to what ever side because of bad level jobs and  no footers.

Sorry for the lapse in pics with the stone work going on. left the cam at home.

so we pick back up where we now have placed the stone work on the vertical and top ledge.  We used mortar to take the brunt of the holding power and used the more expensive white masonary mix and sand to use as the "grout" to finish it off.

here is what it looks like before :

Using a double side sponge, soft on one side and coarse on the other makes fast work to clean up the stone work when applying the finishing mortar.  Just a sponge and bucket of water.  Wait about 15min in decent weather to start to sponge.  hotter and more dry the conditions... attack it faster.
after:

pic of jason using a margin trowel to apply the finishing mortar.

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »
    And the all finished pics ;)  enjoy ;)

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »

Carlos, that looks wonderful.  I love the flat stone waterfall.

They probably were chagrinned to have to have the pond redone, so soon after having it built the first time.  But I'm sure they are VERY satisfied with the way you've "rescued them" by fixing it up, and made it secure and scenic.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »
WOW  :o :o

I think this is my favorite one of all.  Maybe because you walked us through this.  I appreciate all the tips.  Great work.
Alfonso

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 06:07:24 AM »
 o(:-)  A job well done as usual.

If I lived next door to Carlos...I might actually have a real pond instead of tanks.   8-)~

Offline Birdman

• Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 05:07:23 AM »
That really turned out nice.
Steve Joneli
High desert Koi Ponds
541-408-3317
www.highdesertkoi.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
Wonderful job, as usual Carlos. I wish we could do stuff like that in Michigan with the freezing and thawing.

Offline goldenangel

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
WOW!!!!  Love it.   8-)~  For sure going to refer back to these pics.  Thanks for sharing.
Central IL zone 5

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
Nice, your a pond builder?
Amazing work
Thanks,
Rich

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 05:37:58 AM »
WOW!!!  That is fantastic!!!  That spillway is awesome, and I like the heron spitters on each side....
Joey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"