Author Topic: Pygmaea Helvola  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pygmaea Helvola
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
Pygmaea Helvola, Latour-Marliac, pygmaea X mexicana. Anyone try this one, and is it hardy or not, some references have it as not altogether hardy. I saw it growing for the first time and was absolutely enchanted, it was thriving, in South East Asia in very hot weather. The flowers were tiny little bright yellow waxy cups of perfect shape. I can kick myself that I never brought one home. For this one a water garden a foot across is just fine.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pygmaea Helvola
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:06:12 AM »
Very cute. There's been some discussion about indoor gardening - does this need direct light?

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 02:41:57 AM »
I assume so, but I don't know. I saw it in full sun in 96% doing rather well, that's not to say it wont take diffuse light.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »
That is so sweet and now I want one. Don't know that it would winter here but it's so small it wouldn't be to much trouble to winter it the house. :thinking:
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Lori

• Members
  • With us since: 10/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:44:58 AM »
Cedric,
I have grown Helvolas for years and they are very reliable- I've never lost one in zone 4-5 winters.  It begins to bloom around noon and stays open  all afternoon.  A well-established plant makes a lush display of leaves and has multiple blooms open every day.  I like the mottled leaf pattern, too.  It has a pineapple root and stays put in the middle of the pot better than other types. It's a keeper. O0

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:21 AM »
Lori I am truly impressed with this little gem. Im in the sub-tropics- wet tropics so it wont have much of a rest but I think its one of those things that takes up such little space you can pop it anywhere to rest or grow. Thanks for that, I thought maybe it was a bit tricky given its extraordinary size. Im going to get one next time.

I read too that it saves up all its little buds if there is cold spell then pop they all open at once first sign of warmth, making a stunning little galaxi of blooms.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:29:40 AM by Cedric »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:07:05 AM »
My helvola is very hardy, and blooms like crazy all the time IN FULL SUN.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
I didn't have much luck with Helvola in partial shade, only in full sun has it done well for me.

Never had a problem in winter not that it gets terribly cold here, just raccoons ripping it out of pots and the bottom of the pond.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »
Mine is in partial shade--morning sun up until about 2 pm.  Blooms open mid day & close late compared to other hardies.  I've finally got a colony of them & getting about 10 blooms daily.  It is definitely a keeper.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
Kat or anyone! Will you have some for sale? If so please put me on the list.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »
I have a Helvola in a large pot on my deck in full sun, and it does wonderfully - blooms from mid-spring until late fall.  I'm in Zone 7a, and it comes back like clockwork every spring sending up leaves quite early in the season; even after this past winter when it froze pretty darn solid.  I adore this little lily...   o(:-)

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »
It charmed the pants off me I can tell you. The flowers were tiny in the tropics couple of cm max. There is another in a very hot flashy red/pink/purple,  definitely tropical, slightly elongated blooms on lng stalks, just cannot remember its name. Will ask. Nice to hear so many favourable responses, its just has to be a good'n.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »
Helvola is one of my favorites...but, to me it seems like I have alot of trouble keeping the algae away from it...and even the goldies will eat mine so it has to stay in a tub with mosquito fish......
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
Helvola is one of my favorites. It overwinters fine here in zone 5. If you're in the tropics, perhaps you can put it in the refrigerator from Nov to March?

I also grow N. pygmaea & N. mexicana. The pygmaea does fine over the winter and has the most charming white flowers. The Mexicana doesn't do very well over winter (not quite hardy here), but it may be too weedy for the tropics. Doesn't bloom very well for me.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
Thats a good point Tranquility that it can get swamped by algae, so I think the trick would be to grow it in a well established pond/container that has aged and crystal clear water full of submerged plants, that has reached a good balance. Just one or two tiny male fish for mosquitoes. You don't want high waste matter from feeding fish and a population explosion.

Karen yes N mexicana is not my favourite either. It throws up rhizomes and shoots all over the place very quickly, filling up any container with leaves shoots and crowns and very little flower, requiring high maintenance to keep it doing anything half decent. Weed is the word. Last year I left it alone and got exactly one flower and hundreds of crowns. Onto the compost it went. Thankfully helvola has not inherited any of that by the sounds of things and from what I've seen.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"